|Headquarters||Κaramanlis Avenue, Chania, Crete, Greece|
|Area served||Adriatic Sea
|Key people||Bishop Irineos Galanakis, President
Yannis S.Vardinoyannis, Managing Director
|Products||Commercial and passenger transport|
|Revenue||€203mio. (2005) (Group total € 263mio. (2010))|
|Employees||1,332 (2005) (Group total 1530)|
ANEK LINES is a shipping company in Greece. It was founded in 1967 by numerous shareholders who were inhabitants of Crete. It operates passenger ferries, mainly on Piraeus-Crete and Adriatic Sea lines.
The company is listed on the Athens Stock Exchange and 32,5% owned by Cyprus based SEA STAR CAPITAL PLC (also owner of 25,4% of Hellenic Seaways)
In Crete protests broke out after the Typaldos Lines car ferry SS Heraklion capsized due a series of safety regulations violations. The ship sank on her way from Chania to Piraeus on 8. December 1966, resulting in the death of more than 200 people.
In the aftermath a few hundreds of Cretans (traders, free-lancers, pensioners, farmers) following a proposal by the Association of Economists of the Chania Prefecture and the generous support of the Metropolitan of Kissamos and Selinos, Irineos Galanakis, implement their bold idea to found the first multi-shareholder shipping company worldwide with modern, comfortable and decent ships.
- 1967 April 10, ANEK LINES was founded with its head offices located at Chania
- at the beginning only born Cretans could hold stocks in ANEK
- 1970 The company's first F/B vessels KYDON started servicing the route Piraeus-Chania
- 1973 The F/B's CANDIA and RETHYMO started servicing the route Piraeus-Iraklion
- 1978 The F/B KRITI started daily servicing the route Piraeus-Chania
- 1987 The F/B "APTERA" started servicing the route Piraeus-Chania
- New route Crete-Thessaloniki started (route closed then suddenly)
- 1989 The F/B's LATO & LISSOS started servicing the route Patras-Corfu/Igoumenitsa-Ancona
- New blue-yellow corporate identity introduced
- The F/B KYDON was sold.
- 1992 ANEK´s new flagship the F/B EL. VENIZELOS started servicing the route Greece-Italy.
- F/B TALOS started servicing the route Patras-Trieste
- 1994 New route opened, Patras-Igoumenitsa-Bari, but already ceased the following year
- 1997 The F/B's KRITI I & KRITI II started new nonstop Patras-Ancona service
- 1998 Share-capital increase and Initial public offering (IPO) for the company's stocks in the Athens Stock Exchange
- 1999 The company's stocks started trading on the Athens Stock Exchange on 21 January 1999
- ANEK LINES purchases 50% of the share-capital of LANE (Ag. Nikolaos), with the assignment of the F/B TALOS.
- ANEK LINES merge with RETHYMNIAKI and integrate their ships F/B PREVELIS and F/B ARKADI into the fleet
- ANEK LINES ITALIA s.r.l.was founded. ANEK LINES holds 51% of its shares
- ANEK LINES buys 16,5% of NEL Lines
- ANEN was founded. ANEK LINES holds 20% of its shares
- 2000 The F/B Lefka Ori was purchased, fully renovated and started servicing the route Patras-Ancona.
- ANEK LINES increase it´shares to 41,9% of the share-capital of DANE
- ANEK LINES buys 50% of the share-capital of ETANAP
- ANEK LINES buys 62% of the share-capital of LEFKA ORI A.B.E.E.
- Contract signed with the Norwegian shipyard Fosen Mek Shipyard for the shipbuilding of two new buildings (first time for ANEK) with delivery dates October 2000 & May 2001 with an option for two more.
- Delivery of the newly constructed Olympic Champion servicing the route Patra - Ancona which completes the route Igoumenitsa - Ancona in 15 hours.
- ANEK LINES increases its share-capital (25% = 9.5 billion drachmas / 27.88 million EUROs)
- The F/B's Candia and Rethymno are sold
- ANEK LINES increases its share-capital in NEL to 19,05%
- 2001 Established online connections to the international booking systems START, MERLIN, AMADEUS and SIGMA
- Delivery of the second newly constructed H/S/F Hellenic Spirit servicing along with the H/S/F Olympic Champion the route Patra - Igoumenitsa - Ancona reducing the travelling time from Igoumenitsa - Ancona to 15 hours.
- The former Patras-Ancona operating ships, ´´KRITI I`` & ``KRITI II´´, were deployed then on Patras-Triest and Ravena-Catania (``KRITI I``)
- 2002 The F/B's KRITI I & KRITI II deployed on the Pireus-Heraklion service
- 2003 ANEK LINES set up a ro/ro operations called ANEK CARGO for the routes Piraeus–Heraklion, Patras–Bari and Patras–Venice
- 2005 in May ANEK sold it´s 16,5% shares in NEL Lines to Edgewater Holdings with a €0,5mio profit
- in November the F/B Aptera was sold with a €2.5m. net profit
- the new Patras-Venice route is added to the route to Northern Italy
- the construction of the company´s building is completed as well as the relocation of administrative services to the company-owned, functional establishment in Chania(Karamanli avenue former Souda Avenue)
- 2007 in February the company's latest establishment in Piraeus is inaugurated, housing the Directorate of Commercial
Exploitation, the Directorate of Technical Services and the Piraeus main agency
- 2008 in April the P/S-F/S "Preveli" entered service on the Piraeus-Paros-Naxos-Ios-Santorini line
- in July 2008 the P/S-F/S "LISSOS" entered service between Piraeus and Chios-Mytilini
- in September 2008 the P/S-F/S "ELYROS" entered service between Piraeus and Chania
- in December 2008 ANEK was awarded a prize as "The Best Passenger Line of the Year 2008" during the 5th Greek Shipping Awards ceremony hosted by Lloyd’s List
- 2010 April, ANEK established a new subsidiary AIGAION PELAGOS THALASSIES GRAMMES SHIPPING COMPANY (Chania), to charter and operate the
east Aegean and specifically the Piraeus-Syros-Mykonos-Ikaria-Fourni–Samos route and in September this new company undertook the Heraklion route which it is servicing by chartering Parent Company’s vessels
- 2011 1 June, ANEK LINES started a 3-year joint service agreement with Attica Group (Superfast, Blue Star Ferries) for the route Patras–Igoumenitsa–Ancona and Piraeus–Irakleion under the name ANEK-Superfast. Therefore ANEK deploy it´s ferry ``Olympic Champion`` from the Ancona service (now a joint venture operations with ANEK´s ``Lefka Ori`` and the Superfast VI and XI) to the Irakleio service (now a joint venture operations with ``Superfast XII``). The F/B's Kriti I and Kriti II laid up.
- 2012 14 June,F/B LATO Deployed in the international line Bari - Durres in cooperation with ADRIATICA LINES for the summer season.
- 2014 F/B IERAPETRA L. Deployed in the international line Bari - Durres in Charter from ANEK ITALIA for year round service.
|Kriti I||1979||7814046||SZRD||27.239 GT||192 m||27 m||1.494||650||22|
|Elyros||1998||9178599||SVOM||28.000 GT||192 m||27 m||1.874||620||24|
|Olympic Champion||2000||9216028||SYWD||32.694 GT||204 m||25,8 m||1.850||670||30|
|Hellenic Spirit||2001||9216030||SYOA||32.694 GT||204 m||25,8 m||1.850||670||30|
|Prevelis||1980||8020927||SYDL||15.354 GT||142,5 m||23,5 m||991||310||19|
On charter from Grimaldi Holding
|Audacia||2007||9350692||ICDF||25.058 GT||199 m||26,6 m||900||700||24|
|Forza||2010||9458523||IBWU||25.518 GT||199 m||26,6 m||1.000||700||24|
On charter to foreign companies
|El.Venizelos||1984||7907673||SWWZ||38.261 GT||175,5 m||28,5 m||2.500||850||21|
|Sophocles V.||1991||8916607||SWBZ||29.991 GT||192 m||27 m||1.500||703||25|
Out of service
|Lato||1975||7394759||SZOJ||25.460 GT||174 m||24 m||1.790||600||22|
|Kriti II||1979||7814058||SZQW||27.239 GT||192 m||29,4 m||1.500||719||23|
|Lefka Ori||1992||9035876||SWDA||29.992 GT||192 m||27 m||1.500||703||25|
- Also ANEK Lines operate the following passenger ship which is owned by an other company:
- El.Venizelos is on charter to tour company GoinSardinia for 28 months.
- Sophocles V is on charter to Algerie Ferries for the summer period.
- Audacia & Forza are on charter from Grimaldi Holding (not to be confused with Grimaldi Lines)
On June 8, 2011 ANEK Lines and Superfast Ferries created a joint venture in Piraeus-Heraklion and Patra-Igoumenitsa-Ancona routes with two RO-PAX ships in the first one (the ANEK-owned "Olympic Champion" and the Superfast-owned "Superfast XII") and three in the second one (the ANEK-owned "Hellenic Spirit" and the Superfast-owned "Superfast VI" and "Superfast XI").
- Greece domestic
- Greece- Italy
Companies that are affiliates of ANEK Lines (larger than 10%) are outlined below. ANEK Group:
- ANEK HOLDINGS S.A. (Greece, Crete - Chania): 99,5% Tourism- participation in other companies- consulting, etc.
- ΑΝΕΚ LINES ITALIA srl (Italy, Ancona): 49%, Factoring and representation of shipping companies
- LANE S.A. (Lane Lines, Greece, Crete - Ag. Nikolaos):50,11%, Passenger ferry shipping
- AIGAION PELAGOS - THALASSIES GRAMMES SHIPPING COMPANY (Crete,Chania): 99,90%, Sailing company under Law 959/79
- T.C. SAILING (Greece, Crete - Chania): 97,5% Sailing company under Law 959/79
- ETANAP S.A. (Greece, Crete - Chania/Stylos): 50%, Production and distribution of bottled water
- LEFKA ORI S.A. (Greece, Crete - Chania/Stylos): 62%, Production and trade of plastic bottles and packaging products
- CHAMPION FERRIES L.T.D. (Marshal Island): 70%, Shipping
- Cooperative Bank of Chania: 0.01%
Former affiliates and investments:
- NEL Lines 16,5% (shares sold 2005 to Edgewater Holdings)
- DANE Sea Lines 41,87% (stop operations in August 2004 after financial difficulties)
RETHYMNIAKI (took over and finally merged into ANEK LINES in 1999) ANEN 19,36%
- ANEK LINES, 2005 Annual Report, page 49
- ANEK Lines SA, 2005 annual report
- ANEK Lines SA, 2010 Press Release Financial Results 2010, page 2
- ANEK Fleet list
- ANEK LINES, 2005 Annual Report, page 19
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ANEK Lines.|