ANZAC Square, Brisbane
ANZAC Square—the statue in the centre of the photo is a memorial to Queenslanders who fought during the Second Boer War—1899–1902
|Location||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|Owned by||Brisbane City Council|
|Operated by||Brisbane City Council|
|Status||Shrine of Remembrance|
ANZAC Square is a heritage-listed town square located between Ann Street and Adelaide Street (opposite Post Office Square), in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is a state memorial to the men and women who participated in overseas armed service and is named in honour of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. ANZAC Square is adjacent to ANZAC Square Arcade. It was opened on Armistice Day, 1930.
The external wall of the Shrine of Memories is dedicated to the 60,000 Queenslanders who fought in World War I. There are also war-related statues, for various wars, including memorial statues for the Queensland soldiers who fought during the Second Boer War (1899–1902), as well as World War II, the Vietnam War and campaigns in Korea, Borneo and New Guinea.
On 25 April, every year, a Dawn Service is held at the Shrine of Remembrance and ANZAC Square.
Some of the symbolism used are as follows:
- the 18 columns of the Shrine represent the year of peace after World War 1—1918.
- also symbolizing the year (1918) are the number of stairs leading up to the shrine—19 stairs in the first row and 18 stairs in the second row.
- the bottle trees commemorate the Queensland Light Horse Regiments, which served in South Africa's Boer War (1899–1902).
- the palm trees are Middle East date palms and they represent Australia's success in the Middle East during both World Wars. Palms are also a biblical symbol of victory.
Second Boer War
World War I Memorial Sculpture on the external wall of the Shrine of Memories section of the Shrine of Remembrance
- "Anzac Square (entry 14837)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council.
- Laverty, John (1997), "William Alfred Jolly: A slave to duty", in Shaw, Barry, Brisbane:Corridors of Power, Papers 15, Brisbane: Brisbane History Group Inc, p. 141, ISBN 0-9586469-1-0
- Shrine of Remembrance, ANZAC Square, Brisbane
- Readshaw, Grahame (1987). Looking up looking back at old Brisbane. Bowen Hills, Queensland: Boolarong Publications. p. 10. ISBN 0-86439-032-7.
- Photo of the Dawn Service on ANZAC Day, at ANZAC Square
- Shrine of Remembrance - Anzac Square, Brisbane - Anzac Day War Memorials official website
- Brisbane's Anzac Square - Digger History official website
- "ANZAC Square (entry AHD8336)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities.
- Digger History official website
- ANZAC Day Web Site
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ANZAC Square, Brisbane.|