|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2006)|
The AN-M8 Smoke Grenade designated as the Army/Navy Model 8 HC Smoke Grenade (AN-M8 Smoke HC) is a U.S. military grenade used as a ground-to-ground or ground to air concealment or signaling device.
Developed in the 1940s, using a sheet-steel cylinder body that can emit a dense cloud of white or colored smoke that would last from 105 to 150 seconds. It can be thrown at a max 30 feet by a single soldier.
The M8 was used extensively by American or other allied forces used throughout WWII as one of few primary signaling and portable concealment devices.
It was replaced in the 1960s by the slightly similar AN-18 Smoke Grenade, which is a more updated version, with an improved fuse, body, and safer handling.
This US Army grenade is used as a ground-to-ground or ground-to-air signaling device, a target or landing zone marking device, or a screening device for unit movements.
|Army/Navy Model 8 HC Smoke Grenade (AN-M8)|
|Color/Markings: light green body with black markings and a white top.|
|Body: Sheet steel cylinder.|
|Fuze Assembly: M201A1 Pull-ring Igniter. A "mouse trap" type igniting fuze with a 1.2 to 2.0 second delay. Ignition ignites the filler and expels it from the grenade body.|
|Filler: 19 ounces of Type C, hexachloroethane (HC) smoke mixture.|
|Weight: 24 ounces.|
|Safety clip?: No.|
|Range: Can be thrown 30 feet by an average soldier.|
|Duration: The grenade emits a dense cloud of white or gray smoke that lasts for 105 to 150 seconds (1.75 to 2.5 minutes).|
- THE AN-M8 HAND GRENADE PRODUCES HARMFUL HYDROCHLORIC FUMES THAT IRRITATES THE EYES, THROAT, AND LUNGS. IT SHOULD NOT BE USED IN CLOSED-IN AREAS UNLESS THE USERS ARE WEARING PROTECTIVE MASKS.
- WITH BOTH THE AN-M8 AND AN M18, THERE IS DANGER OF STARTING A FIRE IF IT IS USED IN A DRY AREA.
Field Instructional Use
When employing the M18 or AN-M8 HC hand grenade, it may be desirable to use one of these grenades without the fuze. To do this, the following procedure should be used in combat only:
- Remove the tape from grenade bottom to expose the filler.
- Remove the fuze by unscrewing it from the grenade.
- Ignite starter mixture with open flame.
- Immediately throw the grenade to avoid burn injury.