APOLLO 13: Mission Control
Premiere and touring history
The show premiered in October 2008 at BATS Theatre in Wellington, New Zealand and has toured Hamilton, Nelson and Auckland in New Zealand. It returned to Wellington for a season at the New Zealand International Arts Festival in 2010 and then embarked on an Australian tour beginning at the Sydney Opera House. Subsequent tours to Australia have included The Powerhouse Theatre in Brisbane and The State Theatre Centre in Perth. In December 2012 the show made its USA premiere in Tacoma, Washington at the Exhibition Hall in the Tacoma Dome, it then toured to the Spokane Convention Convention Center and the Milton Rhodes Center for the Arts in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
The show tells the story from the point of view of Mission Control. Audience members are seated behind working computer consoles and are allowed to flick the switches, use the working telephones, interact with the actors and hear the three astronauts through headphones. The astronauts perform their part of the show in a command module in another room in the theatre. Each night they are joined by an audience member as the "guest astronaut" and their performances are displayed on two large screens at the front of the stage and on smaller TV monitors at the consoles. An actor playing Walter Cronkite broadcasts live news updates throughout the show, interviewing audience members and Astronaut James Lovell's wife Marilyn.
Chapman Tripp Theatre Awards
- The Weta Award for Best Set Design of the Year (Nominated)
- The Montana Award for Most Original Play of the Year (Won)
- Western Audio Engineering Best Sound Design of the Year (Won)
- Gail Cown Management Award for Best Actor of the Year (Nominated)
- Chapman, Kip. "APOLLO 13: MISSION CONTROL". Theatre Review, Words for Action. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- Theatreview media release and subsequent reviews of the BATS Theatre production of APOLLO 13: Mission Control
- Bunting, Finbarr (2010-01-16). "Play turns theatre into Apollo mission control". Fairfax New Zealand. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "Apollo 13: Mission Control Launches In New Zealand 7/20-26, 7/31-8/15". BroadwayWorld.com. June 22, 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2010.
- "17th Annual Chapman Tripp Theatre Award Nominees". NZLive.com , Ministry for Culture and Heritage. 24 November. Retrieved 28 January 2010.