ASEAN Heritage Parks
The Association for Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Heritage Parks are representative of efforts to conserve areas of particular biodiversity importance or exceptional uniqueness throughout ASEAN member states. The ASEAN Ministers of Environment cooperatively signed the ASEAN Declaration on Heritage Parks on 18 December 2003. The ASEAN Member Countries agreed that
"common cooperation is necessary to conserve and manage the AHP for the development and implementation of regional conservation and management action plans as well as regional mechanisms complementary to national efforts to implement conservation measures."
The ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity (ACB) serves as the secretariat of the ASEAN Heritage Parks Programme and is responsible for reviewing the following principles:
- Maintenance of the essential ecological processes and life-support systems;
- Preservation of genetic diversity;
- Maintenance of species diversity of plants and animals within their natural habitat;
- Ensure sustainable utilization of resources; and
- Provision of opportunities for outdoor recreation, tourism, education and research to make people recognize the importance of natural resources.
- ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations
- Protected area
- World Heritage Site
- Regional Action Plan for ASEAN Heritage Parks and Protected Areas (ASEAN Centre for Biodiversity, 2008) pp. 5, accessed 11, May 2011
- A-Z of Areas of Biodiversity Importance: ASEAN Heritage Parks
- Tasek Merimbun Heritage Park