A Shaded View on Fashion Film (ASVOFF) is the first annual festival in the world about fashion films.
|ASVOFF- A Shaded View On Fashion Film|
Created by journalist Diane Pernet and launched in September 2008 as a three-day event at the national museum of Paris, Jeu de Paume, ASVOFF which took the form of a full festival showcasing feature films, documentaries, conferences, performances and installations. Pioneering, having brought together names such as Mike Figgis, Erwin Olaf, Nobuyoshi Araki, Steven Klein, Chris Cunningham, Chloë Sevigny, Ruth Hogben, Georgie Greville, Elisha Smith-Leverock, Waris Ahluwalla, Maison Yves Saint Laurent, Nick Knight, Johan Renck, Jerry Schatzberg, William Klein, Larry Clark, Ellen Von Unwerth, Bruce Weber, Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin, Rossy de Palma, Michael Nymanand welcomed by: Centre Pompidou, Jeu de Paume, Milano's Palazzo Morando, FIAF, NYC, Festival du nouveau cinema Montreal, CPH-DOX, Barbican Art Gallery, Guggenheim, Bilbao, Pica Contemporary Art Museum, Perth with the support of Italian Vogue, Bvlgari, Dom Perignon, FIAF and Kering.
Diane Pernet's first degree was in documentary film making at Temple University and she has been making small low-fi movies for years. She also worked as a costume designer for, amongst others, director Amos Gitai. So the founder of ASVOFF knows how important fashion is in a film.
- 1 Places
- 2 History
- 3 ASVOFF 2008
- 4 ASVOFF 2009
- 5 ASVOFF 2010
- 6 ASVOFF Milano 2010
- 7 New York Art Fair 2010
- 8 ASVOFF 2011
- 9 ASVOFF 2012
- 10 ASVOFF 2013
- 11 ASVOFF Association
- 12 ASVOFF 2014
- 13 Future
- 14 References
- 15 External links
Besides its annual festival in Paris in September, ASVOFF has other projects around the world.
Other places on the ASVOFF list Jeu de paume (premiere)
- Guggenheim Museum Bilbao,
- Palazzo Morando, Milano, with Vogue Italia,
- Scope Art Fair in New York, with films by Michael Nyman
- Cinema Rise X in Tokyo,
- Chelsea Arts Club in London,
- Barbican Art Gallery in London,
- Mexico City, with Trendsétera,
- Hyères International Festival of Fashion and Photography,
- Rome, with AltaRoma,
- Kiev, with Elle Ukraine
- Seoul, Daily Projects
- Riga, with Moments,
- Vienna 9 Festival,
- Copenhagen, with CPH DOX,
- Amsterdam, with MASS,
- Cluj, with Transylvania National Theatre
- Moscow, Russian Fashion Week,
- Cine Opera at Corso Como, Milan, with films by Michael Nyman
- Miami, with Art Basel
- Cannes Film Festival, Villa Schweppes on Croisette
- Saint Petersburg, Aurora Fashion Week
- London, with Barbarican Art Gallery
- Łódź, LODZ Fashion Philosophy Week
- Tbilisi, Georgian Fashion Week,
- Munich, with ABSOLUTE Creatives,
- Antwerp, with MoMu at MUSE,
- Montreal, Festival du Nouveau Cinema,
- Arnhem, Arnhem Biennale
- Athens, with Fashion Workshop by Vicky Kaya Fashion on Screen
- Venice, Venice International Short Film Festival
- Minsk, Belarus Fashion Week
- Vienna, with Frame (0)ut, Museum Quarter,
- Barcelona, with CaixaForum
- Vladivostok, with the Ministry of Culture of Russia & Aurora Fashion Week
Mark Eley of Eley Kishimoto commissioned her to make a road movie for the launch of his new menswear line. It was a short film that documented his participation in the GUMBALL 3000 which was a car race that went from London to Monte Carlo. The 18-minute film was called The Adventure of Pleasure.
She showed the film to Dino Dinco, her Los Angeles collaborator at the time and he asked her if she wanted to screen it in LA. A day later EGR (Enrique Gonzalez Rangel), her Mexico City contributor, sent her a fashion film that he made and Pernet posted it on her blog. The idea to create a travelling fashion film festival had been on the back burner for years before Pernet showed Adventure of Pleasure to Dinco. Dinco chose the name "You Wear It Well," based on a Rod Stewart song.. The first fashion film festival, "You Wear It Well," launched in August 2006, premiering in Los Angeles at Cinespace. Dinco and Pernet arranged a second edition of "You Wear It Well" in 2007.
Besides the work of Diane Pernet and EGR, You Wear It Well featured video creations from Maison Martin Margiela, Nick Knight/Alexander McQueen, Jeremy Scott, Bernhard Willhelm, Marcelo Krasilcic, Jean-Charles de Castelbajac, NOKI and Ruben Toledo.
In November 2007 Diane Pernet also co-curated the NOOVO fashion and photography festival in Santiago de Compostela. "You Wear It Well" was dissolved in 2007 when Pernet with the support of her current producer, David Herman, took the festival from a one day program to a three-day program and to made it an extension of the ASVOF blog, hence the name ASVOFF (A Shaded View on Fashion Film). In September 2008, ASVOFF was launched in Paris at Jeu de Paume.
ASVOFF 2008 Jury List
- Danièle Hibon: Director of the Cinema Department of Le Jeu de Paume. Previously supervised Le Bureau d’Accompagnement de l’Avance sur Recettes at the Centre National de la Cinématographie. Since 1995 she has been organizing cinematic workshops for art-school students
- Magali Aubert: She founded Standard magazine in 2003. Her role as Editor-in-Chief of the magazine makes every artistic field her forte.
- Hélène Segol: Music video producer at Wanda, one of the top ad & music video production companies in the world.
- Laurent Goumarre: Producer of the Radio-show Minuit Dix.
- Eric Tong Cuong: Co-founder of advertising mega-agency BETC, co-founder of enduring music label Naïve, Eric is now running his latest adventure – the pluridisciplinary advertising agency La Chose.
ASVOFF 2008 Prize Categories
- ASVOFF Grand Prize: Jenny Haniver by Camille Vivier
- Special Mention: Video Look Book by Jeremy Scott
- Public Prize winner of the first edition of A Shaded View On Fashion Film at Jeu de Paume was "The Pattern Film" by Anemone Skjoldager
In 2009 ASVOFF moved to Passage du Désir/ BETC, followed by an award ceremony held at Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris with jury president Rick Owens. Due to the growing size of the selection, it was separated in 2 sections – Reflection (directors vision of fashion) and Communication (communication of one brand/designer).
ASVOFF 2009 Jury List
- Rick Owens President:
- Eric Tong Cuong
- Laurent Gaumarre
- Nan Goldin
- Maria de Mederios
- Helene Segol
ASVOFF 2009 Prize Categories
On 8 October, the Jury headed by Rick Owens handed out awards for the ASVOFF 2009 Fashion Film competition:
- Public Prize: “Herr Rodebjer Part I” by Mattias Montero for Rodebjer
- DailyMotion Winner: “HLH: Autumn Winter 2509 BC” by Claire Kurylowski & Jason Bradbury for Harald Lunde Helgesen
- Jury Prize, Reflection Section: “Fiction Noir” by Steven Klein, starring Lara Stone
- Jury Prize, Communication Section: “Gareth Pugh AW09" by Ruth Hogben for Gareth Pugh
- Jury Prize, Communication Section: “Matthew Williamson" by Johan Renck for H&M
- Grand Prix Samsung: "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by Georgie Greville
ASVOFF 2010 took place over a three-day period from 24–26 September at the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris, with running installations of the festival's competition films held at the BETC's Passage du Desir from 25–28 September.
ASVOFF 2010 Jury List
- Olivier Saillard, Fashion Historian and Director of the Musee Galliera, ASVOFF President
- Mike Figgis, Academy Award nominated writer/director; films include Leaving Las Vegas and Timecode
- Elisabeth Quin, film critic and a French government representative for fashion
- Michael Nyman, film composer for The Piano and 12 Peter Greenaway films
- Bryan Adams, photographer and musician
- Dita Von Teese, performer and style icon
- Fabrice Brovelli, TV production director, BETC EuroRSCG.
- Paolo Roversi, photographer
- Emmanuelle Castro, film acquisitions and co-production director, Wild Bunch
- Daphne Burki, reporter for Canal + television
- Nadja Romain, independent producer
- Sara Maino, senior fashion editor, Vogue Italia
- Zowie Broach, designer of Boudicca
- Abdel Bounane, chief editor, Amusement magazine
- Olivier Seguret, journalist Liberation
ASVOFF 2010 Prize Categories
- Best Film: “Lust Lust” by Martins Grauds
- Best Artistic Director: Alex Prager for “Despair (Nowness)”
- Special Jury Prize: “Lights” by Yoann Lemoine with Shaun Ross
- Best New Talent – Samsung: “Blacklight” by Suzie Q + Leo Siboni
- Beauty Prize – Shu Uemura: "How You Look at It" by Poopy de Villeneuve (NOWNESS)
- Best Sound: “CHAPTER 14 The Dream of the Disembodied Birds” by Andrea Splisgar
- Best Acting: Lauren McAvoy in “Chore Damaris” by Justin Anderson
- Le Book Prize: AnOther Magazine – “Nocturna” by Daniel Askill
ASVOFF Milano 2010
This edition kicked off in January 2010 at the Palazzo Morando in Milan, featuring 7 hours of fashion films screening and a special installation: "LIGHT SERIES". LIGHT SERIES is a series of 1-minute films commissioned by Diane Pernet and co-curator Antoine Asseraf, in addition to a special contest with Vogue Italia, won by Miho Kinamura and Zaiba Jabbar.
The collaboration was suggested by Frederico Poletti, Communications Consultant, who proposed the idea to Vogue Italia editor Franca Sozzani who thought it was a good project. They found it interesting to make a complementary online event with the launch of Vogue.it.
A selection of the films in the LIGHT series includes: “Blacklight” by Suzie Q & Leo Siboni, “Lights” by Yoann Lemoine, “Short Circuit in the After Hour” directed by Andrea Splisgar, “Sunshowers” directed by Elisa Smith-Leverock in collaboration with jewellery designer Fred Butler, “Untitled” by Sofia Sanchez & Mauro Mongiello, and "Spectre" by Antoine Asseraf & René Habermacher.
A previous ASVOFF project in Milan was Cinema Opera in April 2010. It was a series of films by Michael Nyman at 10 Corso Como.
New York Art Fair 2010
In March 2010 ASVOFF was invited to New York City for the New York Art Fair. The event was organized at SCOPE. The organization of ASVOFF had two projects at the 2010 New York Art Fair. The first one was curating a fashion/art exhibition and the other one was an ASVOFF film program.
The Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris was also the location for ASVOFF in 2011. ASVOFF 2012 and ASVOFF 13 will take place Centre Pompidou 11, 12 & 13 Oct.
ASVOFF 2011 Jury List
- Elisabeth Quin, Film Critic & Journalist (Paris Première, France Inter, et al.) / ASVOFF 4 Jury President
- Rossy de Palma, Actress / ASVOFF Ambassador
- Elisha Karmitz – Multimedia Director of MK2
- Olivier Saillard, Director of Musée Galliera
- Manish Arora, Fashion Designer / Creative Director of Paco Rabanne
- Daphne Guinness, Film Producer
- Jerry Stafford, Creative Director, Première Heure
- Pascale Faure, Head of the Short-film Department, Canal+
- Sam Shahid, Creative Director (including for books on Bruce Weber, Herb Ritts, Ellen Von Unwerth, et al.)
- Raphaëlle Stopin, Creative Director, Responsible for the Photography Section, Festival d’Hyeres
- Colette Barbier, Director of the Fondation d’entreprise Ricard
- Rebecca Blake, Photographer / Director
- Thérèse Deprez, Production Designer (for films including Black Swan)
- Alice Pfeiffer, Journalist (International Herald Tribune, Le Figaro, New York Times, et al.)
- Philippe Azoury, Journalist at Libération
- Philippe Brutus, Executive Vice President of Photography, Art + Commerce
- Joseph Ghosn, Editor-in-Chief, Condé Nast Digital for Vogue.fr, GQmagazine.fr and Glamourparis.com
- Christian Ravera + Guy Guglieri, Founders of Mixte Magazine
- Chris Miller, Co-President, Flower Films
- Leonardo Girombelli, Branding & Communication Manager, thecorner.com
ASVOFF 2011 Prize Categories
- ASVOFF Grand Prix – MK2: “I Want Muscle” by Elisha Smith-Leverock
- Best Artistic Direction Prize: Lernert & Sander for “The Fantastic Man Series”
- Best Soundtrack Prize: “Praise Break” (Director's cut, 2011) by Eric Weidt for Pop Magazine
- Best Actor Prize: Danny Trejo in “Onions Don't Make Me Cry” by Bryan Adams
- Best Styling Prize: “Twin Parallel” by Justin Anderson
- Beauty Prize – Shu Uemura: “Waters” by Kira Lillie
- Young Talent Prize – Portal+Zekka: “Is This Real Life” (Nuptialis Project) by Suzie Q + Leo Siboni
- Special Animation Prize: “Exercise in Sartorial Deprivation” by Davide Bedoni
- TheCorner.com's Award: “Scalpel/Stradivarius” by Jason Last and Jaime Rubiano
ASVOFF 2012 Jury List
- Jury President: ORLAN, Artist
- Dominique Issermann, Photographer
- Tim Blanks, Style.com, Editor-at-Large
- Fabrice Rebois, Co-director of Arte television network
- Elisha Karmitz, Multimedia Director of MK2
- Colin McDowell, Fashion Writer and Author
- Marian Masone, Associate Director of Programming, The Film Society of Lincoln Center
- Maria Luisa Poumaillou, Fashion Buyer, Maria Luisa in Printemps
- Marc Audibet, Fashion Designer
- Joseph Ghosn, Obsession magazine, Editor-in-Chief
- Philippe Cohen Solal (aska Gotan Project), Musician
- Emmanuel Asmar, Entertainment Lawyer
- Michel Gaubert, Sound Designer & DJ
- Rain Li, Director
- Emanuel Levy, Film Critic and author of nine books on film.
ASVOFF 2012 Prize Categories
- ASVOFF Grand Prix ASVOFF 5 Awarded by MK2- "Headpieces For Peace" by Jessica Mitrani
- Best Artistic Direction Prize: "Hors d'Oeuvre by Monica Menez
- Best Acting Prix: A Private Label Conversation with Brett Guitar Hofer, Talent Scout (for Haans Nicholas Mott) by Haans Nicholas Mott, Actor: Brett Guitar Hofer
- Best Sound: Visiting Hour for SHOWstudio by Marie Schuller
- Best Styling: UNIFORM (for Eckhaus Latta) by Alexa Karolinski
- Best Documentary Awarded by Portal +: To Be Honest by Jason Last
- Beauty Prize Awarded by Make Up Forever: A Mon Seul Desir by ioulex and Mogollon Make-Up artist Roberto Morelli
- Best Advertising Prize (Two Awarded Films: Watermarked (for Kenzo) by DIS and Morphe (for Aesop) by Lucy McRae
- Emerging Talent Prize Awarded by NOWFASHION: DANNY (for the band Kenji Minogue with the collection of Tom Van der Borght) by Goran Grahovac
ASVOFF 2013 Jury List
- Michèle Lamy – Jury President – Partner of Rick Owens
- Jakob & MacFarlane – Architects
- Laurens Van Den Acker, Senior VP, Corporate Design Renault
- Laura Albert (aka Jt Leroy) - Writer
- Fabrice Rebois – Consultant, Former Direction of Nova and Arte
- Pierre-Paul Puljiz – Producer, Director, Writer
- Li Edelkoort – Trend forecaster
- Marina Skulskaya – Historienne de la Mode, Russie
- Anja Aronowsky Cronberg – Editor in Chief, Vestoj
- Nicolas Girard Deltruc – Executive Director, Festival du Nouveau Cinema Montreal, Canada
- Shalini Ganendra – Fine Arts Consultant and Gallerist, Malaysia
- Emmanuel Asmar – Entertainment Lawyer
- Danielle Ryan - Documentary Film Producer, Art Book Publisher, Founder of ROADS lifestyle brand
- Antoaneta Metchanova – International Creative Director, Publicis 133
- Valerie Steele - Curator of FIT Museum, New York
- Linda Loppa – Director of Polimoda, Italy
ASVOFF 2013 Prize Categories
- ASVOFF 6 Grand Prix: Holi Holy- A Manish Arora Film by Bharat Sikka
- Best Art Direction: BFC London Collections; Men FW13 by Matt Lambert
- Best Acting; She Said, She Said by Stuart Blumberg
- Best Styling: BFC London Collections: Men FW13 by Matt Lambert
- Best Sound: Bishi Bhattacharya in Holi Holy- A Manish Arora Film by Bharat Sikka
- Best Advertising: We & Claes Iversen by Lernert & Sander
- Best Emerging Talent Awarded by Nowness:Bharat Sikka for directing: Holi Holy- A Manish Arora Film
- Beauty Prize Awarded by Make Up For Ever: Make Up Artist Vicky Steckel in Sister Act by Ellen Von Unwerth
- Best Documentary Awarded by Blakiston Gallery: Zillions by Malcolm Venville for Nowness
In December, 2013 ASVOFF became an Association with the following members: President-Emmanuel Asmar, Vice President,Founder and Director- Diane Pernet, Secretary- David Herman and Treasurer- Fabrice Rebois and Jason Last. ASVOFF's Honorary Members are Liza Blakiston, Robb Young, Akiko Hamaoka, Federico Poletti, Jed Root, Luisa Saenz.
In 2014, the festival ASVOFF was held in the U.S for the first time through a partnership with Kering. The festival opened on the 14th of March 2014 at the FIAF's Florence Gould Hall. The screening was consisted of 12 short films, and after the festival, the founder Diane Pernet held a Q&A with the filmmakers Mike Figgis (Leaving Las Vegas) and Jerry Schatzberg (Scarecrow).Among the selections were Bruce Weber's short made for Barneys New York and Figgis's famous short 'Agent provocateur' in which Kate Moss made her screen debut.
Diane Pernet would like ASVOFF to be an extension of other film festivals around the world. That would be a way to promote new filmmakers just like she has done for new designers with her blog.
- "archives". A Shaded View on Fashion Film. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Zoo Magazine". Zoomagazine.de. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Diane Pernet on Tavi, Fashion Film, and the Future of Catwalks – Fashionista: Fashion Industry News, Designers, Runway Shows, Style Advice". Fashionista.com. 12 August 2010. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "about". A Shaded View on Fashion Film. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Celebrity surfers | Technology | The Observer". London: Guardian. 13 August 2006. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Diane, A Shaded View on Fashion: You Wear it Well's first prize winner in Copenhagen was Jeremy Scott's Starring". Dianepernet.typepad.com. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "A Shaded View on Fashion Film". Jeu de Paume. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Diane, A Shaded View on Fashion: ASVOFF-the Jury deliberation". Dianepernet.typepad.com. 22 September 2008. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Diane, A Shaded View on Fashion: ASVOFF – the winner of the public prize". Dianepernet.typepad.com. 29 September 2008. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- diane pernet (14 September 2009). "Diane, A Shaded View on Fashion: ASVOFF 2 jury meeting". Dianepernet.typepad.com. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Rick Owens honored at fashion film festival, winners announced – Fashion, Life & Style". London: The Independent. 10 October 2009. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "'A Shaded View on Fashion Film'". Vogue.it. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- —Sarah Perpich (25 September 2010). "Diane Pernet And Tavi Take The Shaded View of Fashion Film: style file: daily fashion, party, and model news". Style.com. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "Diane Pernet en Tavi zoeken filmtalent – Grazia Nieuws". Grazia.nl. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- Mdvanii. "Mdvanii: Interview With Diane Pernet". Mdvaniiism.blogspot.com. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2011.