Accuracy International AW50
|AI Arctic Warfare .50|
|Place of origin||United Kingdom|
|Used by||See Users|
|Weight||15 kg w/ bipod (33 lbs)|
|Length||1,420 mm, 1,170 mm (folded) |
|Barrel length||686 mm (27 inches) |
|Caliber||.50 BMG |
|Effective firing range||1,500 m |
|Feed system||Box magazine, 5 rounds|
|Sights||Mil spec Mk II in 6x, 10x and standard iron sights |
The AW50 is a .50 BMG anti-materiel rifle designed by Accuracy International. It is a re-engineered version of the Accuracy International Arctic Warfare L96 sniper rifle (the standard issue sniper rifle in the British military).
The AW50 is intended to engage a variety of targets including radar installations, light vehicles (including light armoured vehicles), field fortifications, boats and ammunition dumps. The standard ammunition combines a penetrator, high explosive and incendiary effect in a single round.
The weight of the weapon (15 kg), combined with a muzzle brake and a hydraulic buffer system in the butt, gives the AW50F relatively low recoil and enhances accuracy.
The MIL STD 1913 sight rail can hold a variety of equipment; the normal sight for the AW50 is the Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 PM II with Al Mil Dot reticle, 0.2 MRad clicks and elevation to 1500 m and laser protection. Night vision device sights such as the Simrad KN series or Hensoldt NSV 80 can also be fitted.
The AW50F is a folding stock variant which fires the multi-purpose Raufoss Mk 211 cartridge and other rounds. Most of the rifle is made in the United Kingdom; The barrels are sourced from three different manufacturers: Loather Walther, Boarder and Maddco. The weapon's stock folds for portability. It has a fully adjustable bipod and buttstock heel rest. Four sling loops allow shoulder and hand carrying of the rifle.
Weighing 15 kilograms, the AW50F rifle is approximately four times the weight of a typical assault rifle. The NM140 .50 calibre ammunition is also heavy. The weight of the weapon, combined with a muzzle brake on the front end and a hydraulic buffer system in the butt, gives the AW50F a relatively low recoil and enhances accuracy.
- Australia: AW50F.
- Germany: Designated G24.
- Ireland: Used by ARW marksmen.
- New Zealand: Used by New Zealand Army
- Malta
- Portugal: AW50 is used by GNR (Republican National Guard).
- South Korea: Used by UDT/SEAL.
- Thailand: Used by Royal Thai Navy and Royal Thai Navy SEALS.
- United Kingdom Used in limited quantities by UKSF 
- AW50 information from Accuracy International
- "Accuracy International AW50 Information". Retrieved 2009-10-29.
- Jones, Richard D. Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009/2010. Jane's Information Group; 35 edition (January 27, 2009). ISBN 978-0-7106-2869-5.
- Kommando International Special Operations Magazine, K-ISOM, Ausgabe 5, Mai/Juni 2009
|Accuracy International rifles related|