AWA Remco Action Figure line
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2007)|
The AWA Remco Action Figure line was an action figure toyline based on the wrestlers of the now defunct American Wrestling Association Promotion, or AWA. They were made by the toy company Remco from 1985 to 1986. The toys were made of a solid plastic pose, with moveable waists, legs, arms, and heads. Most came with accessories, from outfits to championship belts. This was actually the first line of wrestling figures available for sale in the United States, preceding the very popular WWF Wrestling Superstars line from LJN which also debuted in 1985.
This set is unique for releasing figures in 2 or 3 packs as opposed to single figure packs. the only figures available in single figure packs was the final series in the collection, the highly collectible Mat Mania series released in 1986.
The set has become increasingly valuable in recent years. The most common figures are the figures released the earliest, and the most sought after are the final series. Loose figures are valuable if they come with the original accessories. The Mat Mania series released in 1986 have been sold on eBay for anywhere from $400-$1200 MOC.
The Complete Collection
Series 1 - 1985
- The Fabulous Ones - (Steve Keirn & Stan Lane)
- The Road Warriors - (Road Warrior Animal & Road Warrior Hawk) (With Tag Team Belts)
- A second set was released shortly thereafter without Tag Team Belts
- The High Flyers - (Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell)
- Rick Martel vs. Baron Von Raschke (with AWA Souvenir Pinky Ring)
- Rick Martel vs. Baron Von Raschke (without AWA Souvenir Pinky Ring)
- Larry Zbyszko vs. Ric Flair
Series 2 - 1985
- The Road Warriors & Paul Ellering
- "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin, Steve Regal, & Precious Jimmy Garvin came with a flabby or muscular body
- The Fabulous Freebirds - (Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy, & Buddy Roberts Terry Gordy came with either a muscular or Flabby body and three different paint jobs as knee pads
- Gagne's Raiders - Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig Greg Gagne had two different head-sculpts and both wrestlers on this team came with two different alternate camouflage outfits.
- The Long Riders - Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin Both Long Riders came with either a muscular or flabby body
Fight to the Finish 2 Packs with VHS Cassette
- Steve Keirn vs. Curt Hennig
Series 3 - 1985
- Nick Bockwinkel vs. Larry Zbyszko (Greatest Grudges 2 Pack) Larry Zbyszko now had a white jacket
- Scott Hall vs. "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin (Greatest Grudges 2 Pack) Jimmy Garvin now came with a blue colored rob and came in a flabby or muscular body
- Stan Hansen vs. Jerry Blackwell (Greatest Grudges 2 Pack)
- Carlos Colón vs. Abdullah the Butcher (Greatest Grudges 2 Pack) Carlos Colon came in orange and red colored outfits
Rings and Accessories - 1985
- Battle Royal Playset with 7 figures, included is either Curley Brown or Nasty Ned as the referee
- Steel Cage Match Playset
- 2nd Battle Royal Playset with 7 figures
- Regular Ring
- There were some VHS/Figure combo packs released that I have seen. Never seen them listed anywhere though.
Thumbsters - 1985
Championship Belt - 1985 Could hold up to 5 different figures
Power Slam Wrestling VCR Game - 1985
Series 4 - 1986
- Shawn Michaels (Mat Mania)
- Marty Jannetty (Mat Mania)
- Nord The Barbarian (Mat Mania)
- Boris Zhukov (Mat Mania)
- Doug Somers (Mat Mania)
- Buddy Rose (Mat Mania)
- Dick Woherle (Mat Mania) Had two different eye color variants
- Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie (Mat Mania)
Re-Releases on Mat Mania Card - 1986
Mini Mashers - 1986 Came in a 12 pack, 8 pack or 4 pack with assorted AWA colored silicone plastic figures, 12 figures in all (Animal, Hawk, Scott Hall, Boris Zhukov, Stan Hansen, Shawn Michaels, Marty Jannetty, The Barbarian, Larry Zybszko, Ric Flair, and Nick Bockwinkel).