A Beautiful Friendship (novel)
|A Beautiful Friendship|
|Cover artist||Daniel Dos Santos|
|Series||Honor Harrington series|
|Genre||Science fiction novel|
|Published||2011 (Baen Books)|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Followed by||Fire Season|
A Beautiful Friendship is a 2011 young adult science fiction novel by American author David Weber. Set in the fictional Honorverse, the book serves as a prequel to the main Honor Harrington series, which takes place hundreds of years later in the fictional timeline.
It features Stephanie Harrington, an ancestor of the main character Honor Harrington who has been mentioned a number of times. The book is in fact based on a short story of the same name first published in 1998 as part of the anthology More Than Honor.
In the early 37th century, the Harrington family moves from the planet Meyerdahl to the newly founded Star Kingdom of Manticore. Their eleven-year-old daughter, Stephanie, is unhappy with this change as their new home, the planet Sphinx, seems to have little to offer. However, she changes her mind when the hunt for an unknown force that keeps stealing celery from the colonists' greenhouses leads her to an encounter with a new sentient species: a treecat, a six-limbed arboreal mammal going (unknown to Stephanie) by the name of Climbs Quickly. The two young beings instantly share a physic connection that future generations will come to call "bonding." This empathic/telepathic linking is involuntary and nearly instantaneous; like love at first sight.
Soon, the two unlikely companions have to face off against a number of enemies, as the people of Sphinx begin to realize – sometimes unwillingly – that they will have to share their new home with another intelligent race that was here first.
- Note: Another plot summary can be seen in the Teacher's Study Guide that Baen has produced.
The short story "A Beautiful Friendship" was originally published in 1998, after Stephanie Harrington and her treecat Lionheart had already been mentioned in passing in the main series of novels.
The novel is split into two parts, the first of which, Unexpected Meetings, encompasses chapters 1 to 12 and is largely identical to the short story, adding only details like a number of dates. The second part, With Friends Like These..., tells an entirely new story taking place several months later.
- Weber, David: A Beautiful Friendship Baen Books, 2011
- This topic in the DW Forum: http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=219 mentions these related materials:
- A 16-page study guide for teachers: http://www.baen.com/ya_guides/beautifulfriendship_teachersguide.pdf
- An Interview of DW: http://www.baen.com/interviews/intweber2.asp.
- The Baen web page also has a Free Story (labeled as "Honorverse Tech Bu9") that is a "recording" of Stephanie Harrington for her friend, Maja Kerensky, (presumably) back on Meyerdahl. Included at the bottom of the Free Story are these three links: