A Buddy Story
|A Buddy Story|
A Buddy Story promotional poster
|Directed by||Marc Erlbaum|
|Written by||Marc Erlbaum|
|Edited by||Abe Levy|
|Distributed by||Strike Accord|
|Running time||84 minutes|
A Buddy Story is a 2010 independent film directed by Marc Erlbaum. It stars Gavin Bellour, Mad Men’s Elisabeth Moss and Matisyahu, a popular American reggae and alternative rock musician who makes his screen debut in the movie.
Buddy Gilbert (Gavin Bellour) is a struggling musician living in NYC. He spends his days touring the northeast with his pet turtle, playing community centers, dive bars and coffee shops because, he says, it beats a 9-to-5.
One day, Buddy overhears his neighbor Susan (Elisabeth Moss) get in a particularly bad argument with her boyfriend and, although he barely knows her, he finds himself taking her out for some cheer-me-up ice cream.
When Buddy is leaving the following day for a tour, Susan asks if she can tag along, if for no other reason than to get out of the city a while. Hesitant at first, Buddy obliges, and finds himself spending a week traveling around with someone who, just days before, was no more than "the girl on the other side of the wall".
From a rough biker bar to a 100-year-old birthday party and other odd stops along the way, record label rejections to family connections, Buddy and Susan make their way from NYC to Philadelphia’s Main Line, and they come to realize that it's not the road's end that matters, but rather the road itself.
- Gavin Bellour as Buddy
- Elisabeth Moss as Susan
- Lee Garlington as Susan’s Mom
- Matisyahu as Chassid
- Annabelle Gurwitch as Rita
- Tovah Feldshuh as Buddy’s Mom
- Tim Guinee as Pete
- Dick Latessa as Grandfather
- Catherine A. Callahan as Fiona
- Geoffrey Wigdor as Geoffrey Wigdor
- Toni Romano as Diner Waitress
- Maureen Torsney-Weir as Bar Owner
- Michael Elian as the Handimart Cashier
- Stink Fisher as Biker
- Richard Alliger as Bartender
- Anne Gray Butler as Old Lady
- Ginny Graham as Greta
- Peter Patrikios as AAA Guy
- Sarah Megan Thomas as Dara
- Annie McCain Engman as Bar Patron
- Premier, 19th Philadelphia Film Festival in October 2010.
- Selection, 2011 Heartland Film Festival, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Selection, 2011 Gig Harbor Film Festival, Gig Harbor, Washington.
In early 2012, Warner Brothers acquired the rights for the video-on-demand release of A Buddy Story.
- "Just Not Fair" by Gavin Bellour
- "New York City" by Teddy Goldstein
- "Cha Coal" by Chris Falson
- "Milk & Honey" by Gavin Bellour
- "I Don’t Wanna" by Marc Erlbaum
- "Backseat" by Teddy Goldstein
- "Tomorrow" by Martin Charnin & Charles Strouse
- "Psalms For Lovers Without Lovers" by Gavin Bellour & Million/Billion
- "Peabody" by Teddy Goldstein
- "Carried Away" by Marc Scibilia
- "Walls" by Marc Erlbaum
- "I've Been Knockin" by Chris Falson
- "Sin Atra" by Chris Falson
- "You Made Me Love You" by Joseph McCarthy & Jimmu Monaco
- "Be Set Free" by Josh Garrels & Brad Corrigan
- "The Alphabet Song" by Gavin Bellour & Dr. Seuss