A Change of Seasons
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
- For the 1980 film of the same name, see A Change of Seasons (film). For the Hall & Oates album, see Change of Season
|A Change of Seasons|
|EP by Dream Theater|
|Released||September 19, 1995|
|Recorded||May 1995 at BearTracks Studios in Suffern, New York (studio track); January 31, 1995 at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London (live tracks)|
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock, hard rock|
|Producer||David Prater, Dream Theater|
|Dream Theater chronology|
A Change of Seasons is an EP by progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater, released on September 19, 1995 through East West Records. It comprises the 23-minute title track and a collection of bonus live covers performed at a fan club concert at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London, England.
The title track, which was recorded at BearTracks Studios in New York, includes samples from the 1989 film Dead Poets Society and from the 1648 Robert Herrick poem, To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time, was originally to be released on the 1992 album Images and Words. The lyrics, written by drummer Mike Portnoy, were not inspired by the movie but rather the death of his mother. A Change of Seasons was also the first Dream Theater release featuring Derek Sherinian on keyboards.
Note that this is considered an EP only in name: at 57:30, it is much longer than a standard EP, or, indeed, many LPs. In fact, it is longer than Dream Theater's first two albums. Portnoy has said "It was important for us and the label for it not to be perceived as the latest studio record. That's why we tagged it an EP."
|1.||"A Change of Seasons"
||Mike Portnoy||Dream Theater||23:09
|2.||"Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" (Elton John cover)||Bernie Taupin||Elton John||10:48|
|3.||"Perfect Strangers" (Deep Purple cover)||Ian Gillan||Ritchie Blackmore, Roger Glover||5:33|
|4.||"Led Zeppelin Medley"||Robert Plant||Jimmy Page||7:28|
|5.||"The Big Medley"||
- James LaBrie – vocals
- John Myung – bass
- John Petrucci – guitar
- Mike Portnoy – drums
- Derek Sherinian – keyboard
|1995||UK Albums Chart||88|
- Carter, Phil. "A Change of Seasons - Dream Theater". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-11-25.
- Portnoy, Mike. "A change of Seasons in Images and Words". About Mike - FAQ. Mikeportnoy.com. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- Portnoy, Mike. "Did the movie Dead Poet's Society influence the song A Change of Seasons?". About Mike - FAQ. Mikeportnoy.com. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- Portnoy, Mike. "Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons EP". About Mike - FAQ. Mikeportnoy.com. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "A Change of Seasons - Dream Theater | Awards". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-11-25.