A Christmas Cornucopia
|A Christmas Cornucopia|
|Studio album by Annie Lennox|
|Released||12 November 2010
(see release history)
|Recorded||October 2009–Summer 2010 in London, England|
|Annie Lennox chronology|
|Singles from A Christmas Cornucopia|
A Christmas Cornucopia is the fifth studio album by the Scottish singer-songwriter Annie Lennox, released in November 2010. It was Lennox's first album after signing to the Universal Music Group (Island Records in the UK, Decca in the US and Europe) following her departure from Sony BMG, which had been her label for almost 30 years.
The album is a collection of Lennox's favourite Christmas songs, though includes one original track written by Lennox, "Universal Child", which was released digitally as a single on 12 October 2010. A music video for Lennox's version of the classic Christmas carol "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" premiered on 4 November 2010, which was released as the second digital single from the album.
|BBC Music||(very positive)|
Metacritic gives A Christmas Cornucopia a weighted average score of 73 based on 9 reviews, meaning "generally favorable reviews". Ian Wade of BBC Music gave the album a very positive review, saying "this collection could find itself becoming as much a part of the holiday season as arguments with loved ones."  Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine awarded the album 3.5/5 and said "Lennox seems more inspired on A Christmas Cornucopia than she has in years."  John Hunt of Qatar Today magazine gave the album 9/10 and said "in particular, the vocal work and musical arrangement of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' are impactful to the point of being intimidating."
|1.||"Angels from the Realms of Glory"||James Montgomery||4:00|
|2.||"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"||Traditional||3:32|
|3.||"See Amid the Winter's Snow"||Edward Caswall, John Goss||3:31|
|4.||"Il est né le divin Enfant"||Traditional||3:37|
|5.||"The First Noel"||Traditional||4:40|
|6.||"Lullay Lullay (The Coventry Carol)"||Traditional||3:13|
|7.||"The Holly and the Ivy"||Traditional||3:37|
|8.||"In the Bleak Midwinter"||Christina Rossetti||3:31|
|9.||"As Joseph was a Walking (The Cherry Tree Carol)"||Geoffrey Shaw||3:59|
|10.||"O Little Town of Bethlehem"||Phillips Brooks||3:33|
|11.||"Silent Night"||Joseph Mohr, Franz Gruber, John Freeman Young||3:49|
|12.||"Universal Child"||Annie Lennox||4:14|
- Matt Allison – engineer
- Marcus Byrne – engineer
- Annie Lennox – accordion, African drums, African percussion, arranger, dulcimer, Fender Rhodes, flute, harmonium, keyboards, marimba, orchestral arrangements, pan pipes, percussion, piano, pipe organ, producer, reed organ, santur, string arrangements, triangle, vibraphone, vocal percussion, vocals, whisper, whistle, Wurlitzer
- Heff Moraes – mixing, mixing Consultant
- Mike Owen – photography
- Dave Robbins – conductor
- Mark Stevens – African drums, engineer, percussion
- Mike Stevens – arranger, bass, drones, engineer, glockenspiel, acoustic guitar, nylon string guitar, keyboards, mixing, music box, orchestral arrangements, organ, Hammond organ, oud, producer, programming, string arrangements, strings
- Barry Van Zyl – African drums, percussion
Charts and certifications
|Australian Albums Chart||86|
|Canadian Albums Chart||25|
|German Albums Chart||37|
|Italy Albums Chart||24|
|UK Albums Chart||16|
|U.S. Billboard 200||35|
|U.S. Billboard Top Holiday Albums||7|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|Germany||12 November 2010||Decca Records||CD, digital download||B0043A0PXU|
|12 November 2010||LP record||B0043A0PY4|
|United Kingdom||15 November 2010||Island Records||CD, digital download|
|United States||16 November 2010||Decca Records|
|23 November 2010||LP record|
- "Annie Lennox "A Christmas Cornucopia" – Tracklist, album cover, single & more". ethrill.net. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "Annie Lennox: Universal Child (E-Single)". Decca Records. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "A Christmas Cornucopia Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". metacritic.com. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- A Christmas Cornucopia at AllMusic
- BBC Music review
- The Guardian review
- Slant Magazine review
- "Music - Review of Annie Lennox - A Christmas Cornucopia". BBC. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Annie Lennox: A Christmas Cornucopia | Music Review". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- Qatar Today, Jan 2011, Music, Books and Film
- "Chartifacts – Week Commencing: 6th December 2010". Australian Recording Industry Association. 6 December 2010. Archived from the original on 15 December 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "CANOE - JAM! Music SoundScan Charts". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- ":: MTV | Album Top 50 KW 30 | charts". Mtv.de. 29 July 2011. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "British album certifications – Annie Lennox – A Christmas Cornucopia". British Phonographic Industry. Enter A Christmas Cornucopia in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "A Christmas Cornucopia: Annie Lennox: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "A Christmas Cornucopia [Vinyl LP]: Annie Lennox: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. 9 September 2009. Retrieved 2011-08-03.