A Family Underground
|A Family Underground|
|Directed by||Paul Andresen|
|Produced by||Chris Kraft|
|Written by||Paul Andresen|
|Edited by||Pascal Leister|
|Distributed by||Psychopathic Video
|Running time||90 minutes|
A Family Underground is an American documentary film written and directed by Paul Andresen. Filmed at the 2008 Gathering of the Juggalos, the film focus on the event and the Juggalo fan base. Gathering of the Juggalos is a music festival hosted by Psychopathic Records every summer. Their fan base, known as Juggalos, have become an underground musical subculture.
The film features concert performances and interviews about the event and fanbase by the entire Psychopathic Records roster and other artists which performed at the festival. Released direct-to-video in 2009, it is the second documentary produced by Psychopathic Records, after Shockumentary, released in 1998.
The film loosely follows an English couple that travels to Cave-In-Rock, Illinois, United States to attend the ninth annual Gathering of the Juggalos. The 2008 event is the first Gathering that the couple has attended. While the couple explores the festival grounds, clips from the multiple events occurring are captured, including professional wrestling from Juggalo Championship Wrestling. Interviews about the fan base are conducted with artists Anybody Killa, Ice-T, Afroman, Boondox, Blaze Ya Dead Homie, Three 6 Mafia, Twiztid, and Insane Clown Posse. Concert footage of the interviewed artists as well as the supergroups Psychopathic Rydas and Dark Lotus is included. The film concludes with the English couple getting unofficially married by Insane Clown Posse member Violent J.
Psychopathic Records' first documentary, Shockumentary, focused solely on hip hop duo Insane Clown Posse. The focus of A Family Underground is directed toward "the true story of ICP", their Juggalo fan base. The documentary is intended be an in-depth look at the Juggalo musical subculture, and "tries to [visually] explain what Juggalos are." The film was shot at the 2008 Gathering of the Juggalos, with film crews exploring the festival grounds and capturing activities at the event. Live concert footage was also filmed, which included angles showing the Juggalo crowd.
- "Violent J Talks About The Shining and A Family Underground". Hatchet Herald (Psychopathic Records) 2 (1). March 23, 2009. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- "Fontana Partners With Psychopathic Records". PR Newswire. February 17, 2010. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
- Graham, Adam (October 30, 2008). "ICP's annual Halloween bash brings the insane circus to town". The Detroit News. Retrieved November 2, 2008.
- Insane Clown Posse (presenters) (January 27, 2009). Weekly Freekly Weekly January Edition (internet news). Detroit, Michigan: Psychopathic Records. Event occurs at 7:45. Retrieved January 30, 2009.
- Fats Pepper (presenter) (April 11, 2009). Weekly Freekly Weekly April 2009 (internet news). Detroit, Michigan: Psychopathic Records. Retrieved April 12, 2009.
- "Bang! Pow! Boom! Nuclear Edition Out NOW!". Psychopathic Records. Archived from the original on April 10, 2010. Retrieved April 7, 2010.[dead link]
- Associated Press (June 12, 2009). "Best Sellers-Video". Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "Aesop Rock interview". The Citrus Report. December 16, 2009. Archived from the original on May 2, 2010. Retrieved April 19, 2010.