A Good Man in Africa
|A Good Man in Africa|
|Directed by||Bruce Beresford|
|Produced by||John Fiedler
|Screenplay by||William Boyd|
|Based on||A Good Man in Africa
by William Boyd
Louis Gossett Jr.
|Music by||John Du Prez|
|Editing by||Jim Clark|
South African Breweries
|Distributed by||Gramercy Pictures (US)
|Running time||94 min|
Morgan Leafy is a British diplomat and works in the small African state of Kinjanja, in the process of decolonisation. Arthur Fanshawe, a new member of the Commission, brings Leafy the news that oil has just been discovered in Kinjanja. For the British to obtain the benefits of such unexpected news, they must maintain good relations with the man who appears likely to be the next president of Kinjanja, Sam Adekunle. But a diplomatic crisis occurs: a woman dies at the High Commission and the British want to prolong the native burial honors for several days.
- Colin Friels as Morgan Leafy
- Sean Connery as Dr. Alex Murray
- John Lithgow as Arthur Fanshawe
- Diana Rigg as Chloe Fanshawe
- Louis Gossett Jr. as Prof. Sam Adekunle
- Joanne Whalley as Celia Adekunle
- Sarah-Jane Fenton as Priscilla Fanshawe
Focus Features released an Amazon.com exclusive DVD of the film on January 11, 2010.
- "MOVIES : South Africa, Take 2 : What happens when Bruce Beresford brings 'A Good Man in Africa' to the country as the first post-cultural embargo film". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- "PAGE TO SCREEN : Boyd's Good Man". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "A Good Man in Africa". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "A Good Man in Africa". Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "FILM REVIEW; Of Colonials in Africa And Insults That Insult". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- A Good Man in Africa at the Internet Movie Database
- A Good Man in Africa at Box Office Mojo
- A Good Man in Africa at Rotten Tomatoes