A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra
|A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra|
|Studio album by Frank Sinatra|
|Released||September 21, 1957|
|Recorded||May 1-July 10, 1957 at Capitol Studio A, Hollywood, Los Angeles|
|Genre||Traditional pop music
|Frank Sinatra chronology|
This was Sinatra's first full-length Christmas album. It features the Ralph Brewster Singers along with an orchestra conducted by Gordon Jenkins.
Capitol reissued the album in 1963 with different cover art and a new title, The Sinatra Christmas Album, both of which also featured on the album's initial 1987 compact disc pressing. The original title and cover were eventually restored for subsequent CD pressings in 1990 and 1999. In 2001, the album art was altered from its 1957 version. The CD bonus tracks were originally issued on a 1954 Capitol 45 rpm single, arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle.
In 2007 the album was reissued yet again, with a "50th Anniversary" banner placed atop the 2001 cover art and an additional bonus track (a vintage radio PSA that Sinatra did for the American Lung Association's "Christmas Seals" campaign) added.
In 2010, the album was reissued on vinyl for the first time since the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab reissue, #1-135, circa 1986 (separate from the 1983 16-LP box), exclusively to independent record stores.
- "Jingle Bells" (James Pierpont) – 2:00
- "The Christmas Song" (Mel Tormé, Robert Wells) – 3:28
- "Mistletoe and Holly" (Hank Sanicola, Frank Sinatra, Doc Stanford) – 2:18
- "I'll Be Home for Christmas" (Kim Gannon, Walter Kent, Buck Ram) – 3:11
- "The Christmas Waltz" (Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne) – 3:03
- "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Hugh Martin, Ralph Blane) – 3:29
- "The First Noel" (William B. Sandys) – 2:44
- "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" (Felix Mendelssohn, Charles Wesley) – 2:24
- "O Little Town of Bethlehem" (Lewis H. Redner, Phillips Brooks) – 2:06
- "Adeste Fideles" ("O, Come All Ye Faithful") (John Francis Wade) – 2:34
- "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear" (Edmund Sears, Richard Storrs Willis) – 2:51
- "Silent Night" (Franz Gruber, Josef Mohr) – 2:31
- CD reissue bonus tracks
- "White Christmas" (1954 single version) (Irving Berlin) – 2:37
- "The Christmas Waltz" (1954 single version) (Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne) – 3:01
- Frank Sinatra – Lead Vocals
- The Ralph Brewer Singers – Background Vocals
- Gordon Jenkins – Arranger, Conductor
- Nelson Riddle – Arranger, Conductor (CD bonus tracks)