A Life in the Theatre
|A Life in the Theatre|
Poster for the 2010 Broadway Revival
|Written by||David Mamet|
|Characters||Robert (stage veteran) John (young actor)|
|Place premiered||Theatre De Lys|
A Life in the Theatre is a 1977 play by David Mamet.
It focuses on the relationship between two actors, the play's only characters. One, Robert, is a stage veteran while John is a young, promising actor. As the play goes on they are involved in a variety of productions, and gradually their relationship begins to change.
It was first produced in the US at the Goodman Theatre, Chicago, Illinois, in February 1977, with Mike Nussbaum and Joe Mantegna and directed by Gregory Mosher. It was revived at the Goodman in March 2006, directed by Artistic Director Robert Falls. The play was first produced off-Broadway at the Lucille Lortel Theatre (then the Theatre De Lys) in October 1977 through July 1978, with Ellis Rabb as Robert and Peter Evans as John and directed by Gerald Gutierrez. It was the featured play at UCSC's Shakespeare Santa Cruz summer festival in 1986, with Trevor Baxter and Paul Whitworth.It was also produced off-Broadway at the Jewish Repertory Theatre in February 1992 through March 1992, with F. Murray Abraham as Robert and Anthony Fusco as John.
Notable UK productions include a run at London's Apollo Theatre, from February 2 to April 30, 2005 with Patrick Stewart as Robert and Joshua Jackson playing John, and an Edinburgh Fringe production in 2008 by Schadenfreude Productions, with David Cann as Robert and Jonathan Rhodes as John.
Another revival featuring Patrick Stewart and T.R. Knight and directed by Neil Pepe began performances on Broadway in a limited engagement, opened officially in October 2010 for a 15-week run, through January 2, 2011. However, after mixed critical reviews and low box office returns, the show closed on November 28, 2010 after 24 previews and 56 regular performances.[dated info]
- "A Life in the Theatre" production note, history", theatrewesternsprings.com, accessed February 22, 2009
- Images of production goodmantheatre.org, accessed February 22, 2009
- Off-Broadway listing, 1977 production lortel.org, accessed February 22, 2009.
- Off-Broadway Database listing, 1992 production lortel.org, accessed February 22, 2009
- Loveridge, Lizzie."Review:A Life In the Theatre", curtainup.com, February 3, 2005
- Hetrick, Adam and Jones, Kenneth."Mamet's 'A Life in the Theatre' Sets Broadway Opening and Closing Dates" playbill.com, July 12, 2010
- October 9, 1993. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107412/
- A Life in the Theatre at the Internet Broadway Database
- A Life In The Theatre Official Website