A Pillow Case of Mystery
|A Pillow Case of Mystery
|Written by||Lau Chi-wah|
|Opening theme||"Sin Chi Sin Kok" (先知先覺) by Benny Chan|
|Country of origin||Hong Kong|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Executive producer(s)||Lam Chi-wah|
|Camera setup||Multi camera|
|Running time||42 – 45 minutes|
|Original channel||TVB Jade|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original run||31 January – 26 February 2006|
|Followed by||A Pillow Case of Mystery II (2010)|
A Pillow Case of Mystery (Traditional Chinese: 施公奇案; literally The Curious Cases of Lord Sze) is a 2006 Hong Kong detective-fantasy television drama starring Bobby Au-yeung as the titular character, Mr. Sze. Produced by Lam Chi-wah and edited by Lau Chi-wah, the drama is a TVB production. The original broadcast was on the TVB Jade network with 45-minute episodes airing five days a week from 31 January to 26 February 2006. The drama is set during the early 19th century Qing dynasty. Sze Sai-lun, the newly appointed magistrate of Kong-do County, accidentally encounters a spirit, enclosed in a magic pillow, who helps him solve cases.
Sze Sai-lun (Bobby Au-yeung) becomes the new magistrate of Kong-do County. After a series of unresolved cases, the townspeople begin to see him as pathetic and useless. While Sai-lun was searching for evidence by a hillside, he accidentally injures himself, dropping blood on a mysterious pillow. He faints on it and discovers that the pillow encloses a spirit (Lo Hoi-pang) who can help him solve mysteries by giving him clues and riddles to solve. With the help of the pillow spirit, the townspeople begin to see a new light in Sai-lun.
Cast and characters 
Main characters 
- Bobby Au-yeung portrays the titular character, Sze Sai-lun, Kong-do County's new magistrate.
- Kenix Kwok portrays Mai Heung-yung (born Tong Fung), the county court's maiden.
- Benny Chan portrays Wong Tin-bah (born Tong Lung), Heung-yung's feisty younger brother.
- Tavia Yeung portrays Princess Tsanggak Ming-chu, Sai-lun's younger god-sister.
- Lo Hoi-pang portrays the Pillow Spirit, later revealed to be Heung-yung and Tin-bah's dead grandfather, Tong Doh-fuk.
Other characters 
- Lee Fung portrays Chiu Yuet-ngor, Sai-lun's mother.
- Rosanne Lui portrays Pong Got-ngoi, Sai-lun's official wife.
- Eileen Yeow portrays Ka Sau-yuk, Sai-lun's second wife/concubine.
- Annie Man portrays Chin Lai-shu, Sai-lun's third wife/concubine.
- Gordon Liu portrays Sima Jui-fung, the head constable.
- Mary Hon portrays Siu Kau-leung, Heung-yung and Tin-bah's foster mother.
- Cheung Ying-choi portrays Assistant Lo, Sai-lun's assistant judge.
- Lee Kwok-lun portrays Sze Long, Sai-lun's deceased father.
Viewership ratings 
|Week||Episode||Average points||Peaking points||HK viewers
||January 31 — February 3, 2006||
||February 6 — 10, 2006||
||February 13 — 17, 2006||
||February 20 — 24, 2006||
|February 26, 2006||
Award nominations 
- "Best Drama"
- "Best Actress in a Leading Role" (Kenix Kwok - Mai Heung-Yung)
- TVB.com A Pillow Case of Mystery - Official Website (Chinese)
- TVBSquare.com A Pillow Case of Mystery - Review (English)