A Real Basket Case
|Publisher||Five Star Publishing|
|March 21, 2007|
A Real Basket Case is a fictional mystery novel that was written by Beth Groundwater. The book, published by Five Star Publishing, was initially released on March 21, 2007. It was later re-published in large print in January 2008. The fictional novel follows the story of protagonist Claire Hanover who sets out to discover the identity of her husband's killer.
Awards and Recognition
Beth Groundwater won the Princess of Rejection Prize from the Sisters in Crime Guppies Chapter for receiving the second most rejections for her writings by the winter of 2005. However, in 2007, A Real Basket Case was nominated for the Best First Novel Agatha Award.
The novel received favorable reviews in several major newspapers. Barbara Bibel from Booklist review commented that, "This will appeal to Desperate Housewives fans and those who like cozies with a bit of spice." Kirkus Reviews called A Real Basket Case "A tense, exciting debut."
Author J.B. Thompson praised the novel, saying "Groundwater’s well-crafted characters comprise a nicely balanced cast, and she does a good job incorporating a blend of humor and relationship drama into a deftly twisted plot with the kind of surprise ending guaranteed to satisfy. Quick-paced and well written with clear and comfortable prose, A Real Basket Case is a perfect afternoon read for cozy fans," though he also criticized the main character Claire as fallible.
Following the acclaim received for her first novel, Groundwater went on to write two sequel murder mysteries following the same protagonist Clare Hanover. To Hell In a Handbasket was published in 2012, and A Basket of Trouble was published in 2013. Both published by Midnight Ink, a subsidiary of First Printing.
- "A Real Basket Case". AuthorsDen, Inc. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- "A Real Basket Case (Large Print) (Wheeler Softcover)". Powells.com. 1994–2008. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- "Beth Groundwater on tour for book 'A Real Basket Case (Five Star Mystery) (Five Star Mystery Series)'". Zvents. October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- "beth groundwater". ColoradoSprings.com. Retrieved 2008-10-18.[dead link]
- "Resume". Beth Groundwater. July 12, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- Bibel, Barbara (February 1, 2007). "Books". Booklist Review. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
- Thompson, J.B. (2007). "A REAL BASKET CASE". Spinetingler Magazine. Retrieved 2008-10-19.