A Return to Salem's Lot
|A Return to Salem's Lot|
UK VHS cover
|Directed by||Larry Cohen|
|Produced by||Larry Cohen
|Written by||Larry Cohen
|Music by||Michael Minard|
|Edited by||Armond Leibowitz|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|September 11, 1987|
Michael Moriarty plays an amoral anthropologist who has been lumbered with his dysfunctional adolescent son and who returns to Salem's Lot, the town of his birth, to find that it has been taken over by the undead. A few living people are kept around to provide blood for the vampires and to operate the gas station and shops in the daytime. Knowing of the anthropologist's refusal to moralise about other people's lifestyles (in the opening scene he is seen refusing to interfere in a human sacrifice and concerned only for the quality of the film he is shooting), the vampires employ him to write their story. As the vampires' evil nature becomes clear, the anthropologist is joined by a Nazi hunter (played by Samuel Fuller) who helps him save his son, and at the climax the master vampire is impaled on the American flag instead of the traditional stake. As the trio escapes Salem's Lot, the vampires are left in the sun to burn along with their homes.
- Michael Moriarty as Joe Weber
- Samuel Fuller as Van Meer
- Andrew Duggan as Judge Axel
- Evelyn Keyes as Mrs. Axel
- June Havoc as Aunt Clara
- Tara Reid as Amanda
The film was given a limited release theatrically in the United States by Warner Bros. in 1987. It was released on VHS by Warner Home Video the following year. The film was released to on demand DVD by the Warner Archive Collection in 2010.
- "Kings of Horror Day 13: A Return to Salem’s Lot". STYD. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Company Credits for A Return to Salem's Lot". imdb.com. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- "Return to Salem's Lot (DVD)". wbshop.com. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- "A Return to Salem's Lot". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "A Return to Salem's Lot (review)". DVD Talk. Retrieved 27 January 2014.