A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies
Cover of the Brevísima relación de la destrucción de las Indias
|Author||Bartolomé de las Casas|
|Original title||Brevísima relación de la destrucción de las Indias|
A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies (Spanish: Brevísima relación de la destrucción de las Indias) is an account written by the Spanish Dominican friar Bartolomé de las Casas in 1542 (published in 1552) about the mistreatment of the indigenous peoples of the Americas in colonial times and sent to then Prince Philip II of Spain.
He wrote it for Charles I of Spain. One of the stated purposes for writing the account is his fear of Spain coming under divine punishment and his concern for the souls of the Native Peoples. The account is one of the first attempts by a Spanish writer of the colonial era to depict examples of unfair treatment that indigenous people endured in the early stages of the Spanish conquest of the Greater Antilles, particularly the island of Hispaniola. Las Casas's point of view can be described as being heavily against some of the Spanish methods of colonization, which, as he describes, have inflicted a great loss on the indigenous occupants of the islands. He described extensive use of torture, murder, and mutilation against the Natives by the Spaniards.
His account, largely responsible for the passage of the new Spanish colonial laws known as the New Laws of 1542, which abolished native slavery for the first time in European colonial history and led to the Valladolid debate.
- "Mirror of the Cruel and Horrible Spanish Tyranny Perpetrated in the Netherlands, by the Tyrant, the Duke of Alba, and Other Commanders of King Philip II". World Digital Library. 1620. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Also translated and published in English as A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies, among several other variants.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies at Project Gutenberg
- A Brief Account of the Destruction of the Indies in Spanish with English translation
- Brevísima Relación de la Destrucción de las Indias From the Collections at the Library of Congress
- Le Miroir de la Cruelle, & Horrible Tyrannie Espagnole Perpetree au Pays Bas, par le Tyran Duc de Albe, & Aultres Commandeurs de par le Roy Philippe le Deuxiesme From the Collections at the Library of Congress
|This article about a non-fiction history book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to indigenous Mesoamerican culture is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|