A Silent Film
|A Silent Film|
|Origin||Oxford, England, UK|
|Genres||Piano rock, Alternative rock|
|Labels||Creative Media Investments, Xtra Mile Recordings, Bieler Bros.|
|Past members||Karl Bareham
A Silent Film are an English alternative rock band from Oxford. The band consists of Robert Stevenson (vocals/piano/guitar), Ali Hussain (bass) and Spencer Walker (drums). Their first album, 'The City That Sleeps', was released on October 6, 2008. with one reviewer describing it as 'a surefire winner'.
Formation and early years
The band formed in 2008. Three of the five members (Robert Stevenson & Spencer Walker) had been members of another band named Shouting Myke, which formed in early 2000. In 2005 two members (Benn Clarke and Steve Meyer-Rassow) left the band and were replaced by Ali Hussain, whose older brother is noted classical conductor Leo Hussain. The newly formed band chose the name 'A Silent Film' after the lead singer, Robert Stevenson, wrote a song using the melody from a song from a Charlie Chaplin film; the band agreed they liked the style and chose the name as a reference to Charlie Chaplin's many silent films.
The band cites its influences as 'Love, sex and death, and everything in between'.
The City That Sleeps
The original UK version of the album, produced by Sam Williams, contains 11 tracks, including the single 'You Will Leave a Mark'. This single was number one in the Sunday Times Culture magazine's 'Hottest Downloads' chart. A reviewer compared the album to the music of Coldplay and described it as 'catchy and accessible.
After the album's release the band toured the UK and then Portugal where they quickly became popular. After a matter of weeks their song 'You Will Leave A Mark' reached top of the Portuguese download singles charts, followed by the album soon after.
The band have played and toured with OneRepublic, Scouting for Girls, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Temper Trap, Sleigh Bells, Biffy Clyro, Fitz & The Tantrums, Civil Twilight, Athlete and Blue October.
The song "You Will Leave A Mark" was featured as an iTunes Discovery Download as has so far been downloaded over 110,000 times.
In 2009, the song "You Will Leave A Mark" was nominated for the XFM New Music Award.
In 2010 The City That Sleeps was re-released in the US with two alternate tracks, "Driven By Their Beating Hearts" and "Firefly In My Window".
In 2010 the band's song "Aurora" was featured on Linkin Park's iTunes celebrity playlist podcast.
"You Will Leave A Mark" topped numerous national radio most-requested playlists, picking up first place at the Sirius Alt Nation awards for 'Best In Studio Performance' and ranked No. 4 for 'Song of the Year' behind only Mumford & Sons, The Black Keys & Vampire Weekend. The song also peaked at #38 on Billboard's Hot Modern Rock Tracks.
Multiple syncs on MTV's The Hills, The Hard Times of R J Berger, Investigation Discovery and an appearance on the Rockband video game have all helped raise the awareness of the band in the United States.
|The City That Sleeps|
|Sand & Snow|
|The Projectionist (EP)|
|You Will Leave A Mark||
- "A Silent Film's biography - INTERVIEW". 6lyrics. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "A SILENT FILM - INTERVIEW". The405. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "A Silent Film". Safe Concerts. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "A Silent Film". All Music. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "A Silent Film: The City That Sleeps". Penny Black Music. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "Album Review: A Silent Film - The City That Sleeps". absolutepunk.net. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "Album Review: A Silent Film - The City That Sleeps". Alter the Press!. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "Shouting Myke". Gigs Unlimited. Retrieved April 22, 2011.
- "A Silent Film". 100 XR. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "A Silent Film - The LampLight". BBC. Retrieved April 24, 2011.
- "A Silent Film - The City That Sleeps (Xtra Mile)". dailymusicguide. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "A Silent Film re-release The City That Sleeps album". Buzzin Music. Archived from the original on 4 June 2011. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- "A Silent Film". Disappear Here Mag. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "XFM New Music Award 2009". XFM. Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "Linkin Park on iTunes Celebrity Playlist Podcast". "Mike Shinoda Clan". Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- "A Silent Film". "Reverb Nation". Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- "U.K. Buzz Band A Silent Film Relocates to Phoenix". Phoenix New Times". Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- "The City That Sleeps - A Silent Film : Awards". AllMusic. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2012-11-09.
- "A Silent Film Will Leave A Mark!". Best New Bands". Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- "A Silent Film". Sam Williams Music". Retrieved September 19, 2011.
- "A Silent Film". "Leeds Music Scene". Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- "Investigation Discovery promo featuring A Silent Film's "You Will Leave A Mark"". "Zoofs.com". Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- "A Silent Film". "Rockband.com". Retrieved September 17, 2011.