A Skylit Drive
|A Skylit Drive|
|Labels||Fearless, Tragic Hero, Roadrunner|
|Associated acts||Odd Project, Watchout! Theres Ghosts, Alesana, WeAreGiant, Eyes Set to Kill, Escape the Fate, In Fear and Faith, Blessthefall, The Word Alive, The Dead Rabbitts|
|Past members||Curtis Daniger
Cory La Quay
A Skylit Drive is an American Post-hardcore band from Lodi, California. The band has released one DVD, one EP and four studio albums: Wires...and the Concept of Breathing (2008), Adelphia (2009), Identity On Fire (2011) and recently Rise (2013). The band consists of Michael Jagmin (lead vocals), Nick Miller (lead guitar), and Kyle Simmons (keyboards, rhythm guitar). Original member Joey Wilson left the band in 2012, reducing the band to a five-piece. In 2014, Brian White and Cory La Quay departed from the band. The band has toured internationally both as headliner and support-act.
- 1 History
- 2 Style
- 3 Members
- 4 Timeline
- 5 Discography
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Formation and She Watched the Sky EP (2006–2007)
A Skylit Drive's original members all met while attending Lodi High School in Lodi. Michael Jagmin and Cory La Quay (drummer) attended Franklin High School in Elk Grove, California. Jagmin later left the band to be part of Odd Project. Their debut EP, She Watched the Sky, was released January 2007 on Tragic Hero. Following this, the group toured with Four Letter Lie, Blessthefall, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Greeley Estates, Oh, Sleeper, The Blackout, Alesana, Before Their Eyes, Dance Gavin Dance, Kenotia, Pierce the Veil, and From First to Last.
Jordan Blake left the band mid-tour around November 2007 and was briefly replaced by Jonny Craig, who also recorded a demo version of "Knights of the Round". He was replaced by Craig Mabbitt (ex-blessthefall) before Michael "Jag" Jagmin rejoined to complete the current line up. Curtis Daniger aided A Skylit Drive on the bass guitar for a few shows after leaving Dance Gavin Dance.
Wires...and the Concept of Breathing (2008)
The full length Wires...and the Concept of Breathing (produced by Mitchell Marlow and Allen Jacob) appeared in May 2008. The album reached No. 171 on the U.S. Billboard 200, and No. 20 on the Top Independent Albums chart. Jagmin later described Wires... as "kind of the staple album that everybody goes back to for us" although it "took a year to really catch on". Shortly after the release of the album they filmed a music video for the nonprofit group To Write Love on Her Arms directed by Robby Starbuck. They appeared at The Bamboozle Left in 2008 and toured in the summer of that year with Sky Eats Airplane, Breathe Carolina, and Emarosa.
They toured with Greeley Estates, August Burns Red, Sky Eats Airplane, This or the Apocalypse, Escape the Fate, Alesana, Chiodos, and Silverstein during fall in 2008. They also filmed a live DVD called "Let Go of the Wires", which was released on December 9, 2008.
In Mid-November the band released a music video for the song "Wires and the Concept of Breathing". The video can be viewed through their MySpace profile. Their song "This Isn't the End" is now the music video on their MySpace directed by Robby Starbuck about teen suicide in conjunction with the non-profit organization To Write Love on Her Arms. Both videos are on their first full length album, Wires... and the Concept of Breathing, and the band has shot other videos for songs on the album. They announced that there will be five brand new videos on their upcoming DVD "Let Go of the Wires" as well as live performance footage from a show at the Glasshouse in Pomona, CA. The DVD was released exclusively at Hot Topic on December 9, 2008.
In early 2009 the band signed Fearless Records and announced co-headlining tour Dance Gavin Dance in April/May. The band was a part of Warped Tour for the 2009 season. On May 26, 2009, A Skylit Drive released a new song, entitled "Those Cannons Could Sink a Ship" onto iTunes and also for play on their MySpace page. Their second full-length album, Adelphia, was released on June 9, 2009 and peaked at number 64 on the Billboard 200. Singer Jarmin described it as "our most experimental album". The band released a music video for "Those Cannons Could Sink A Ship!" on October 19, 2009, directed by Spence Nicholson. The band filled in a support slot for Senses Fail in October, before they embarked on their first ten-date tour of Europe. The band recorded a cover of Journey's "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" for the next Punk Goes compilation. The band signed with Hassle Records in the UK, where the album was released in October 2009. From February to April 2010, the band toured the US and Europe as the main support to Alesana, on their 'The Emptiness Tour'.
Identity on Fire (2011)
Jagmin indicated that the band would begin writing and recording a follow-up to Adelphia in the middle of 2010 and suggested that the album would see an early 2011 release. The band announced in May 2010 that Desires of Sires will debut on their Adelphia tour. In July 2010 it was announced that the 6-piece had entered the studio recording together with Cameron Webb. The band was on the "Average Guys with Exceptional Hair" tour with bands Woe, Is Me, For All Those Sleeping, Motionless in White and Scarlett O'Hara.
On December 7, 2010, the band announced the tracklisting for the album and a date set on February 15, 2011. They toured mid January through February with Underoath, Thursday, and Animals as Leaders, and released a music video for "Too Little Too Late" on January 12, 2011. They were part of the Warped Tour 2011 at the Ernie Ball stage. The band also announced a European tour in late 2011 along with Woe, Is Me, I Set My Friends on Fire, and Sleeping with Sirens, and recorded the cover "Love the Way You Lie" for the Punk Goes... Compilation.
On January 20, 2012 A Skylit Drive released The Cali Buds music video, via Altpress.com, and in February toured South East Asia with Australian band, For This Cause.
Departure of Joey Wilson and Rise (2012–2013)
By the middle of 2012 the band had begun the pre-production and would be entering the studio with Cameron Mizell in June 2013. On September 21, 2012, lead guitarist Joey Wilson confirmed that he had left the band, citing that it was "time for us both to move on to different things".
The band recorded a new single; entitled "Fallen", which was released on November 30, 2012 on the band's YouTube channel. After two albums, A Skylit Drive returned to Tragic Hero Records as they felt "like we needed a little bit more personal attention, [and they were] just able to give us a little more personal attention. They wanted us to be in the position where we were confident with the album". On November 26, the band embarked on the Nut Up or Shut Up tour, supporting blessedthefall. Further pre-production took place in February 2013 in LA.
It was announced on April 22, 2013, that the band entered the studio a week before to continue writing their album with Jim Wirt (Hoobastank, Alien Ant Farm), while Kit Walters, Mitchell Marlow and Al Jacobs also participated. With the time available to them, Jagmin explained that "we definitely gave each song more time than we were ever able to before. Everything was done minus the vocals on two songs, so I had a whole month to write vocals for two songs". In April 2013 the band played the Pulp Summer Slam XIII Til Death Do Us Part rock festival in Manila, Philippines. while they wrapped up pre-production with Jim Wirt in Cleveland at the start of May.
The official recording sessions with producer Cameron Mizell began on June 1 at the Chango Studios in Lake Mary, Florida. Drums, bass, guitar and electronics were completed by mid-June, with the band moving to Cameron Mizell's studio in Phoenix, to record vocals. The band finished recording on June 30, 2013. On July 18, the band announced that their brand new album would be entitled Rise, and set for release on September 24, followed by a headlining tour in support of the new album. Drummer La Quay commented that "[We] really sat down for almost nine months and [...] wrote a bunch of songs and had a bunch of different ears on it, and a bunch of different perspectives on it". On July 31, the band released the first single and title track off their new album, "Rise". By mid august the band released the tracklisting and announced an Australian tour supporting Dream On, Dreamer for November 2013. On September 6, the band released the second single of the album titled "Unbreakable".
Rise sold over 10,000 copies in its first week of release, leaving Jagmin to comment that the album had "caught on faster than the other ones". In March–April 2014 they were a support-act on the Memphis May Fire "The Unconditional Tour". They also announced that they would once again be performing on Warped Tour for the 2014 season.
Departure of Brian and Cory, Rise: Ascension and fifth full-length (2014-present)
On the same day Michael, Nick and Kyle announced that they will continue on, and that on January 2015 a new album, titled Rise: Ascension, will be released. The disc will be an acoustic version of the previous full-length, Rise. They also announced that a fifth full-length will be out on Summer 2015.
Lead singer Michael Jagmin has a countertenor singing range, while lyrically he tries to write "honestly, just about what the song makes me think about". While their debut EP invloved more screaming vocals this was toned down for the "Wires..." album after the change of vocalist. The band were "happy with the vocal style we’ve chosen [as] the popularity of Wires along with [...] gives us a good enough thumbs up that the singing/screaming ratio we’ve stuck to is what works for us".
- Current members
- Michael Jagmin - Lead vocals (2005, 2008–present)
- Nick Miller - Rhythm guitar (2005-2012); Lead guitar (2012–present)
- Kyle Simmons - Keyboards, programming, Rhythm guitar (2012-present), Bass (2014–present)
- Former members
- Curtis Danger - Bass guitar (2005)
- Jordan Blake - Lead vocals (2005-2007)
- Joey Wilson - Lead guitar (2005-2012)
- Cory La Quay - Drums, percussion, backing vocals (2005-2014)
- Brian White - Bass guitar, screamed vocals (2005–2014)
- Touring members
- Jonny Craig - Lead vocals (2007)
- Craig Mabbit - Lead vocals (2007)
- Justin Trotta - Rhythm guitar (2010)
- Studio albums
- She Watched the Sky (2007)
- Chen, Sandra (September 21, 2012). "Guitarist Joey Wilson departs A Skylit Drive". Breakdown Music Press. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Tragic Hero Records listing" Bio on the record company website
- "Discogs.com" Listing on discogs.com for the EP, accessed August 12, 2014.
- "Discogs.com" Listing on Discogs.com indicating year of release and credits. Accessed August 13, 2014.
- Charts. Billboard.com
- Charts, Allmusic
- Campbell, Natalie (November 2013). "A Skylit Drive: Interview & Photo gallery". Breakdown Music Press. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- A Skylit Drive Films Three Videos in Three Days. HM Magazine, June 29, 2008.
- "Fearless Records - A Skylit Drive". Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Paul, Aubin (January 23, 2009). "Tours: Dance Gavin Dance / A Skylit Drive / Attack Attack / Lower Definition". Punknews.org. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Lally, Jonathan (May 26, 2009). "A Skylit Drive Post New Song". Absolutepunk.net. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Billboard.com - Discography - A Skylit Drive - Adelphia
- Schultz, Brian (July 30, 2009). "Tours: Senses Fail / A Skylit Drive / Closure in Moscow /". Punknews.org. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Wippsson, Johan (May 9, 2009). "A Skylit Drive: European Tour". Melodic.net. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Hassle Records. February 10, 2010.
- -, Molco (January 8, 2010). "Alesana’s "The Emptiness" 2010 Tour with Skylit Drive, Of Mice&Men, The Word Alive and We Came As Romans". Metal Music Mania. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- "Identity On Fire" Tracklisting + Release Date
- Alter The Press!: A Skylit Drive To Play 2011 Warped Tour
- "Tour details" Tour company website announcement detailing the dates. accessed August 13, 2014.
-  Record company announcement on the record.
- "A Skylit Drive Press Conference in Manila, Philippines". Guitarhoo!. Guitarhoo.com. May 1, 2013. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- Twitter / MichaelJagmin: Last day in the studio today
- http://bryanstars.com/post/54367128388/a-skylit-drive-has-finished-recording-vocals-for "News item"
- Hibberd, Kane (November 24, 2013). "A Skylit Drive". Kill Your Stereo.com.
- Moskovitch, Greg (August 14, 2013). "Dream On, Dreamer Announce National Headlining Tour With A Skylit Drive". Music Feeds (AUS). Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- Bird, Michele (March 2, 2014). "Memphis May Fire post first ‘Unconditional’ tour update.". Alternative Press. Retrieved August 13, 2014.
- "Instagram announcement" October 21st 2014
- Rudisill, Alex (April 4, 2014). "Interview: Michael Jagmin of Skylit Drive". Idobi.
- Briel, Ridge (February 2, 2012). "Interview: A Skylit Drive's Michael "Jag" Jagmin". Mind Equals Blown. Retrieved August 13, 2014.