A Universe from Nothing
|A Universe from Nothing: Why There is Something Rather than Nothing|
|Author||Lawrence M. Krauss|
|January 10, 2012|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover and Softcover)|
|LC Class||QB981 .K773 2012|
The book ends with an afterword by Richard Dawkins, which Krauss later admitted was "pretentious." Christopher Hitchens had agreed to write a foreword for the book prior to his death but was too ill to complete it. To write the book, Krauss expanded material from a popular lecture on the cosmological implications of a flat expanding universe he gave to the Richard Dawkins Foundation at the 2009 Atheist Alliance International conference. The book appeared on The New York Times bestseller list on January 29.
Samantha Nelson for The A.V. Club gave A Universe from Nothing a B grade, she writes "as bizarre as the spontaneous creation and destruction of particles might seem, Krauss argues that there’s scientific proof of the phenomenon, which makes it better than any creation myth." Michael Brooks for New Scientist writes "Krauss will be preaching only to the converted. That said, we should be happy to be preached to so intelligently. The same can't be said about the Dawkins afterword, which is both superfluous and silly." David Albert for The New York Times criticizes the book for failing to live up to its title, and criticizes Krauss for dismissing concerns about his use of the term nothing to refer to a quantum vacuum instead of a "philosopher’s or theologian’s idealized 'nothing'" (i.e. instead of having the meaning "not anything").
- Andersen, Ross. "Has Physics Made Philosophy and Religion Obsolete?". theatlantic.com. Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Krauss, Lawrence. "Afterword from Lawrence Krauss' New Book - A Universe From Nothing". excerpt. richarddawkins.net. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- "Non Fiction Best Sellers". The New York Times. January 29, 2012. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- Nelson, Samantha (25 January 2012). "A Universe From Nothing". Review. The A.V. Club. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Brooks, Michael (14 January 2012). "The paradox of nothing". New Scientist 213 (2847).
- Albert, David (25 March 2012). "On the Origin of Everything". The New York Times Sunday Book Review. Retrieved 25 April 2012.
- Lawrence Krauss's 2009 lecture A Universe from Nothing