A Whole New World
|"A Whole New World"|
|Song by Brad Kane and Lea Salonga from the album Aladdin: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|Released||October 31, 1992|
|"A Whole New World"|
|Single by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle|
|from the album Aladdin: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|B-side||"After the Kiss" (instrumental)|
|Released||November 5, 1992|
|Format||CD, Audio cassette, 7"|
|Label||Walt Disney, Columbia|
|Writer(s)||Alan Menken (music)
Tim Rice (lyrics)
"A Whole New World" is a song from Disney's 1992 animated feature film Aladdin, with music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Tim Rice. The song is a ballad between the primary characters Aladdin and Jasmine about the new world they are going to discover together while riding on Aladdin's magic carpet. The original version was sung by Brad Kane and Lea Salonga during the film. They also performed the song in their characters at the 65th Academy Awards, where it won Academy Award for Best Original Song as well as the Grammy Award for Song of the Year at the 36th Annual Grammy Awards. In 2014, Adam Jacobs and Courtney Reed performed the song as Aladdin and Jasmine in the film's Broadway adaptation.
A single version of the song was previously released that year and was performed by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle. This version is played in the movie's end credits and is referred on the soundtrack as "Aladdin's Theme". This version peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on March 6, 1993, replacing Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You", which had spent a then record 14 weeks at the top of the chart. The track peaked at #12 in the UK Singles Chart in 1992. The song is the first and only song from a Disney animated film to top the Billboard Hot 100. The single version was later included on Belle's studio album Passion (1993) and on Bryson's studio album Through the Fire (1994). The Latin American rendition of the song, "Un Mundo Ideal", by Ricardo Montaner and Michelle received airplay throughout Latin America. This rendition was later included on Montaner's greatest hits album Éxitos y... Algo Más (1993).
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||14|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||6|
|Canada Adult Contemporary (RPM)||1|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||70|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||14|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks||21|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary||1|
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (July 2014)|
- Girl group Eternal released the song as the B-side to their 1996 single, "Someday", recorded for the Disney film The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Hank Marvin did an instrumental version of the song in 1997 on his album Hank Plays the Music of Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- LMNT covered the song for DisneyMania 2, released in 2004.
- Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey covered the song for DisneyMania 3 released in 2005, and on the two-disc Platinum Edition DVD for the Aladdin film.
- The song was covered in 2006 by British glamour model Katie Price (also known as Jordan) and her now ex-husband, Peter Andre. The track is included on their 2006 album of duets A Whole New World.
- J-pop artist Kumi Koda and Peabo Bryson included a cover for Koda's 2006 album Best: Second Session.
- K-pop boy-band TVXQ recorded the song for their 2007 Japanese album, Five in the Black, as a special track.
- In 2007, Pixar employee Nick Pitera uploaded a video to YouTube where he performs both the male and female characters, earning 30 million views (as of January 18, 2013).
- Saxophonist Dave Koz covered the song on his album At The Movies. The song featured Donna Summer on vocals.
- On Disney - Koe no Oujisama album the song was sung by Kenichi Suzumura
- The song was covered in 2013 by Japanese hip-hop/EDM group M-Flo, featuring vocals by Matt Cab, for the album Electronic Disney Music.
- Christian pop punk band Stellar Kart featured a cover on their Disney cover EP named after this song.
Live cover performances
Some notable artists that have covered this song live include:
- Sweetbox, for WOW! DisneyMania in Japan.
- Charice Pempengco and Super Junior member Kyuhyun on Star King in 2007
- Peabo Bryson and Patti LaBelle performed the song along with all 77 contestants at the 1994 Miss Universe Pageant in Manila, Philippines
- Bryson recorded a version of the song with Japanese pop artist Kumi Koda, which appeared as a bonus track on her album BEST ~second session~.
- Peabo Bryson and Chilean singer Andrea Tessa performed the song on the Viña del Mar International Song Festival in 2001.
- David Phelps and Sandi Patty performed the song on "Mark Lowry On Broadway" in 2001.
- In the second season of American Idol in 2003, eventual winner Ruben Studdard sang the song on Movie Night. It was noted that season that "A Whole New World" was the most commonly used audition song, and a montage of "A Whole New World" auditions was aired to emphasize it.
- In addition to recording a cover, Peter André and Katie Price performed the song live on Children in Need in 2005.
- K-pop artists Ivy and Brian Joo
- K-pop artist BoA and TVXQ member Xiah Junsu performed the song live at the AnyBand Concert in Korea on December 29, 2007.
- Glee's actor Darren Criss performed the song with Lea Salonga, the singing voice of Princess Jasmine on Aladdin at Billboard/Hollywood Reporter TV & Film Music Conference to Alan Menken.
- Girls' Generation member Tiffany and K.Will
- The song is performed during the fountain show World of Color at Disney California Adventure park while LED lights affixed to Mickey's Fun Wheel twinkle in the backdrop, appearing as stars.
Like most Disney's songs, "A Whole New World" was translated and adapted for non-English dubbed releases of the film.
|Albania||Është bota jonë||It's our world||Klajdi Musabelliu and Jeta Mehmeti|
|Een nieuw begin||A new beginning||Bart Bosch and Laura Vlasblom|
|Brazil||Um mundo ideal||An ideal world||Kika Tristão and Joseph Carrasso Jr. (film version)
Marcelo Coutinho and Anna Paula Tribucy (credits version)
|Bulgaria||Един нов свят (Edin nov svyat)||A new world||Todor Georgiev and Ventsislava Stoilova|
|Canada (Québec)||Un nouveau monde||A new world||Joël Legendre and Martine Chevrier|
|Croatia||U novi svijet||A new world||Dušan Bućan and Zrinka Cvitešić|
|Czech Republic||Svět nádherný||Wonderful world||Jiří Langmajer and Jana Mařasová|
|Denmark||Et helt nyt liv||A whole new life||Louise Norby and Søren Launbjerg|
|Egypt||دي دنيا فوق||The world up there||Hesham Noor and Nahla Malawany|
|Estonia||See maailm uus||This new world||Koit Toome and Hedvig Hanson|
|Finland||Se on kuin yö||It's like the night||Sami Aarva and Ulla Hakola-Renko|
|France||Ce rêve bleu||This blue dream||Karine Costa and Daniel Lévi (Paolo Domingo in the film)|
|Germany||Ein traum wird wahr||A dream comes true||Peter Fessler and Sabine Hettlich|
|Greece||Γλυκιά zωή (Glykiá zoí)||Sweet life||Christos Stassinopoulos and Katerina Yiamali|
| Hong Kong
|新的世界 (Sun dik sai gai)||New world||Emil Chau and Mei Chen|
|Hungary||Egy új élmény||A new experience||Zoltán Miller and Kata Janza|
|Iceland||Við höldum vörð||We'll stand guard||Edda Heiðrún Backman and Felix Bergsson|
|India (Hindi)||सपनों का जहाँ (Sapno ka jahan)||The world of dreams||Sonu Nigam and Suchitra Krishnamoorthi (Movie Version)
Pervez Kadir and Kavita Krishnamoorty (End-Credits Version)
|Indonesia||Seluruh dunia||The whole world||Nanang Niskala and Beatrix Renita Purwiastanti|
|Iran||یک دنیای کاملا جدید||A whole new world||گروه گلوری|
|Israel||עולם חדש (Olam hadash)||A new world||Rama Messinger and Alon Ophir|
|Italy||Il mondo è mio||The world is mine||Vincenzo Thoma and Simona Peron aka: Cristina (film & credits)
cover version Anna Tatangelo and Gigi D'Alessio
|Japan||新しい世界 (Atarashii sekai)||A new world||Kazutaka Ishi (石井一孝) and Kaori Asoh (麻生かほ里)|
|Latin America||Un mundo ideal||An ideal world||Ricardo Montaner and Michelle
Demián Bichir and Anali (film)
|Malaysia||Dunia baru||A new world||? and Juwita Suwito|
|Norway||En helt ny jord||A new earth||Trond Teigen and Jannike Kruse|
|Poland||Wspaniały świat||Wonderful world||Paweł Tucholski and Katarzyna Skrzynecka|
|Portugal||Um mundo ideal||An ideal world||Sofia Escobar and Luís Alves|
|Russia||Волшебный мир (Volshebnyĭ mir)||A magic world||Andrey Malyshev and Anna Pozdnyakova|
|Serbia||U novi svijet||In the new world||Milan Antonić and Mirjana Stojanović|
|Slovakia||Svet zázrakov||The world of miracles||Jaroslav Rusnák and Eva Sakálová|
|Slovakia (2013)||Svet užasny||The awesome world||Daniel Fisher and Alžbeta Bartošova|
|South Korea||아름다운 세상 (Aleumdaun sesang)||Beautiful world||Nam Gyeong-Joo (남경주) and Lee Jeong-Hwa (이정화) |
|Spain||Un mundo ideal||An ideal world||Enrique del Pozo and Michelle 
Miguel Morant and Ángela Aloy (film)
|Sweden||En helt ny värld||A whole new world||Peter Jöback and Myrra Malmberg|
|Taiwan (Pop Version)||萍水相逢 (Píng shuǐ xiāng féng)||Meet by chance||Emil Chau (周華健) and Sarah Chen (陳淑樺)|
|Taiwan (Movie Version)||嶄新的世界 Zhan xin de shijie||A whole new world||Huang Cho-ying (黃卓穎) and Ma Yu-Fen (馬玉芬)|
|Thailand||โลกใหม่สวยงาม (Loke mai suay ngarm)||This new world is beautiful||Thongchai McIntyre and Netnapa Hanjorawut (film version)|
|Turkey||Gerçek dünya||The real world||Arda Aydın and Otilia Radulescu Ipek|
|Ukraine||Нове життя (Nove zhyttya)||A new world||Arsentij Prymak and Darina Sumskaya|
- List of Hot 100 number-one singles of 1993 (U.S.)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1993 (U.S.)
- List of Mainstream Top 40 number-one hits of 1993 (U.S.)
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 137. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "The Hot 100 chart listing for the week of March 06, 1993". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- "Passion - Regina Belle". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Through the Fire - Peabo Bryson". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Discos más populares de Latinoamerica". El Siglo de Torreón (in Spanish). 20 August 1993. p. 44. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Éxitos Y... Algo Mas - Peabo Bryson". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Australian-charts.com – Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle – A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle – A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- Canada Top Singles peak
- Canada Top Singles peak
- "Chartverfulgong > Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle > A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme) – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- Irish Singles Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved December 15, 2007)
- "Charts.org.nz – Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle – A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme)". Top 40 Singles.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1993". Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- Vaziri, Aidin (2011-05-09). "Pixar's Nick Pitera becomes YouTube singing star". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "At The Movies overview". Allmusic.com.
- "Dave Koz - At The Movies". SmoothViews.com.
- Aladdin Korean Original Soundtrack booklet
- Aladdin Spanish Original Soundtrack booklet