Aaj Ki Raat
|"Aaj Ki Raat"|
|Song by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy from the album Don: The Chase Begins Again|
|Released||26 August 2006|
|Recorded||Purple Haze Studios
Panchathan Record Inn and AM Studios
|Genre||Club, Disco, Filmi, Retro, Synthpop|
|Label||T-Series, N.E.E.T., Interscope|
Javed Akhtar (lyrics)
|Don: The Chase Begins Again track listing|
Aaj Ki Raat (English: Tonight!, Hindi: आज की रात, Urdu: آج کی رات) is a 2006 Hindi song from the Bollywood film soundtrack for Don: The Chase Begins Again, a remake of the 1978 film Don. The track is composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy trio with lyrics penned by Javed Akhtar. The song was later used by AR Rahman in the Academy Award–winning 2008 soundtrack Slumdog Millionaire.
The track falls into the genre of 80's retro-disco. According to the script of the movie,the song had to be picturized on SRK, Priyanka Chopra and Isha Koppikar dancing at a private underworld party. Director Farhan Akhtar suggested to go ahead with a Retro rock number. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy jammed with director Farhan Akhtar, who himself is a music enthusiast, to come up with the track which had elements of music styles they listened to in late 70's and 80's. The song fits well in the movie as the movie in itself is a retro story presented in a modern style.
The song was well received by the critics. It featured in the 10 dances that made you flock the theatres list of Bollywood Hungama. This song is heavily influenced by 1977 Donna Summer track I feel love almost a direct rip off. Original composer is Giorgio Moroder  It also did well in the music charts and climbed up later on.
The song is picturised on Shahrukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra and Isha Koppikar. The song features three of the stars dancing to the tunes of Aaj Ki Raat in an underground Night club where the plot takes an interesting twist. Choreography of the song is done by veteran choreographer Saroj Khan.
A version of the song was included in the Academy Award winning soundtrack Slumdog Millionaire by A. R. Rahman. The song features in the climax of the movie when the gangsters and mafia boss Javed dance to the tune while Aaj Ki Raat plays in the TV, though it shows the video of Rahman's Fanaa (song) being played.
- "Don - The Chase Begins Again : Soundtrack listing and details". Google.co.in. 2006-10-20. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- "Displaying a topic". Shankarehsaanloy.com. August 2006. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- ""We have retained the melody but we have changed the dressing and added some surprise elements" – Shankar Mahadevan". Bollywoodhungama.com. 2006-09-01. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- "Displaying a topic". Shankarehsaanloy.com. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- "10 dances that made you flock the theatres". Bollywoodhungama.com. 2006-12-28. Retrieved 2011-07-02.
- "Top 10 Hindi Film Songs on Planet Bollywood". Planetbollywood.com. 2006-10-14. Retrieved 2011-07-02.
- "Top 10 Hindi Film Songs on Planet Bollywood". Planetbollywood.com. 2006-09-17. Retrieved 2011-07-02.
- "Saroj Khan gets sentimental about DON". Bollywoodhungama.com. 2006-09-21. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- "A. R. Rahman uses 'Choli Ke Peeche' track from Khalnayak in Slumdog Millionaire". Bollywoodhungama.com. 2008-11-27. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- "Review of Slumdog Millionaire - Slumdog Millionaire". Zimbio. Retrieved 2011-06-27.