Aalten town hall
Location in Gelderland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Bert Berghoef (CDA)|
|• Total||97.03 km2 (37.46 sq mi)|
|• Land||96.51 km2 (37.26 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.52 km2 (0.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||31 m (102 ft)|
|Population (January 2014)|
|• Density||280/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code||0315, 0543|
Notable inhabitants of Aalten include Angus Young, guitarist of the Australian rock band AC/DC, and Robert Gesink, a professional road bicycle racer. During World War II, 51 of Aalten's 85 Jews were hidden by local non-Jews, and thereby survived the war.
Aalten railway station serves Aalten and the surrounding area. There is a half-hourly service between Arnhem and Winterswijk, which stops at this station. Arnhem railway station has services to Amsterdam, Amsterdam Airport, Utrecht, Nijmegen, 's-Hertogenbosch, Breda, Tilburg and to cities in Germany.
- "Samenstelling college burgemeester en wethouders" [Members board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Aalten. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7121CS". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 10 March 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Martin Gilbert, 'The Holocaust' (1986), page 376,
|Isselburg (DE-NW)||Bocholt (DE-NW)|
|This Gelderland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|