|IATA: AAR – ICAO: EKAH|
|Operator||Aarhus Lufthavn A/S|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
|Source: Airport Website, Danish AIP at EUROCONTROL|
Aarhus Airport (Danish: Aarhus Lufthavn) (IATA: AAR, ICAO: EKAH) is a civilian airport located in Tirstrup, Denmark, which is 19.4 nautical miles (35.9 km; 22.3 mi) northeast of Aarhus. The airport carried 591,355 passengers in 2011.
The airport was built in 1943 by German occupying forces (but not ultimately used) and was used as a Cold War military base for the Danish and other allied airforces until the 1990s. The airport still contains a small military depot and plays host to occasional training exercises; the last NATO exercise was in 2007.
The current passenger terminal dates from 1981 with renovations performed between 2007 and 2009. Since 1946 the airport has carried civilian traffic and has been 'temporarily' the primary one for Aarhus, despite being nearly 50 kilometres (31 miles) from the city centre and relatively inaccessible until recent road construction, such as the Djursland motorway. A plan to build a new airport closer to the city was rejected in 2003 and is a matter of ongoing debate for local authorities.
The airport resides at an elevation of 82 feet (25 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways: 10R/28L is 2,702 by 45 metres (8,865 ft × 148 ft) and 10L/28R is 2,777 by 23 metres (9,111 ft × 75 ft).
Airlines and destinations
operated by Sun Air of Scandinavia
|Gothenburg-Landvetter, Manchester, Oslo-Gardermoen, Stockholm-Bromma|
Seasonal: Girona, Málaga, Palma de Mallorca, Alicante
Many travellers to or from Aarhus use the larger Billund Airport instead, located 96 km (60 miles) away by road.
operated by Farnair Switzerland
- There are taxis travelling to the city available from outside the terminal building.
- An airport bus, service 925X, takes passengers from the airport to Aarhus railway station and back. The bus is scheduled to meet every flight. Bus route 212 between Ebeltoft (20min) and Randers (60 min) stops at the airport. As it is a public service it is not scheduled around the flight timetable. 6–7 buses operate daily to Randers and 6–7 to Ebeltoft.
- There are three parking areas (P1, P2 og P3) With over 1300 parking spaces. OK Benzin operate the Petrol Station.
- Passagertal 2012 & 2013
- "2010 Statistics". Aar.dk. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "EAD Basic". Ead.eurocontrol.int. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Hjemmeværnet – Flyverhjemmeværnet tjekker porte i Tirstrup". Hjv.dk. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- New link to Manchester to be launched by BA Franchise carrier Sun Air of Scandinavia
- Ryanair destination map
- Ryaniar destination map
Media related to Aarhus Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Aarhus Airport official site: Danish or English
- Current weather for EKAH at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for AAR at Aviation Safety Network