||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
Aaron Bruno (foreground) performing at The Library Institute Birmingham in 2014
|Also known as||AWOL|
November 11, 1978 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Genres||Electronic rock, indie rock, post-grunge, electronica|
|Occupations||Singer, musician, songwriter, guitarist|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano, keyboard, synthesizer, drums, percussion, bass,|
|Labels||Red Bull, UTIOG, Maverick|
|Associated acts||Awolnation, Under the Influence of Giants, Home Town Hero, Insurgence|
Aaron Bruno (born November 11, 1978) is an American rock musician. He is best known for being the lead singer of Awolnation. He is a former member of the post-grunge band Home Town Hero, the indie-pop group Under the Influence of Giants, and Insurgence. He was born and raised in Los Angeles. In 2004, Home Town Hero split up shortly after their second EP. Aaron continued to write music. He created the song "Sail" in 2010 as part of AWOLNATION's first EP, Back From Earth. Sail later debuted as number 30 on the U.S Billboard Alternative Songs chart in 2011, going platinum in America and double platinum in Canada. Later that year the album Megalithic Symphony was released.
AWOLNATION was founded by Aaron Bruno, formerly of Under the Influence of Giants, Hometown Hero and Insurgence. The band is signed to Red Bull Records. Their first album was released in May, 2010.
AWOLNATION started when Aaron was allowed to have free use of Red Bull Studios in 2009. At that time, Aaron recorded a few songs and then signed with Red Bull.
Aaron writes all of his songs himself.
The name Awolnation comes from Aaron’s nickname in high school. In a recent interview with Kristin Houser of the LA Music Blog, he stated that he “would leave without saying goodbye because it was just easier, so that’s where the name Awol came from.”
The band also consists of Christopher Thorn, formerly a guitarist for the ’90s band Blind Melon.
- Megalithic Symphony (2011) – vocals, synth, drums, percussion, keyboards, bass guitar, Rhodes piano, guitar, piano
Under the Influence of Giants
- Heaven Is Full (2006) – vocals
- Under the Influence of Giants (2006) – vocals
Home Town Hero
- Home Town Hero (2002) – vocals, guitar
- Bitch City (2004) – vocals, guitar
- Let's Rock (1999) – vocals
- Podplesky, Azaria (2012) "AWOLNATION Teaches Kids to Head-Bang in 'Kill Your Heroes'", Seattle Weekly, December 4, 2012. Retrieved December 8, 2012
- "Hear Hero", Billboard, July 21, 2001, p. 56. Retrieved December 8, 2012