January 14, 1982 |
Santa Monica, California
|Known for||Digital Art|
|Notable work||Flight Patterns, The Sheep Market, Ten Thousand Cents, Bicycle Built For Two Thousand, The Wilderness Downtown, The Johnny Cash Project, eCloud, Unnumbered Sparks|
Aaron Koblin is an American digital media artist and entrepreneur best known for his innovative use of data visualization and his pioneering work in crowdsourcing and interactive film. He is currently Co-Founder and CTO of VRSE. Formerly he created and lead the Data Arts Team at Google in San Francisco, California.
Koblin's artworks are part of the permanent collections of the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A), the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), and the Centre Georges Pompidou. He has presented at TED, and The World Economic Forum, and his work has been shown at international festivals including Ars Electronica, SIGGRAPH, and the Japan Media Arts Festival. In 2006, his Flight Patterns project received the National Science Foundation's first place award for science visualization. In 2009, he was named to Creativity Magazine's Creativity 50, in 2010 he was one of Esquire Magazine's Best and Brightest and Fast Company's Most Creative People in Business, and in 2011 was one of Forbes Magazine's 30 under 30.
Koblin is a graduate of UCLA's Design | Media Arts MFA program, and sits on the board of the non-profit Gray Area Foundation For The Arts GAFFTA in San Francisco. He was the Abramowitz Artist in Residence at MIT in 2010 and the Annenberg Innovator in residence at USC in 2013.
- The Sheep Market
- Ten Thousand Cents
- Bicycle Built for Two Thousand
- The Johnny Cash Project, a music video for Johnny Cash
- This Exquisite Forest, displayed 2012-2013 at Tate Modern
Interactive / Digital Music Videos
- Radiohead's House of Cards music video with James Frost
- The Wilderness Downtown, for Arcade Fire's We Used to Wait
- Three Dreams of Black, for "Black" on Danger Mouse and Daniele Luppi's album Rome
- The Johnny Cash Project
Sculptures / Installations
- Koblin, A. (2009). "Flight patterns". ACM SIGGRAPH ASIA 2009 Art Gallery & Emerging Technologies: Adaptation on - SIGGRAPH ASIA '09. p. 29. doi:10.1145/1665137.1665156. ISBN 9781605588780.
- Koblin, A. M. (2009). "The sheep market". Proceeding of the seventh ACM conference on Creativity and cognition - C&C '09. p. 451. doi:10.1145/1640233.1640348. ISBN 9781605588650.
- Hoffman, Jascha (2012). "Aaron Koblin Q&A: The data visualizer". Nature 486 (7401): 33. doi:10.1038/486033a.
- "2006 Science and Engineering Visualization Challenge Winners". September 2006. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- "The 2009 Creativity 50: Aaron Koblin". Creativity Magazine; Crain Communications Group. February 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- "The 100 Most Creative People in Business: Aaron Koblin". Fast Company. Dec 2010.
- Adams, Susan (Dec 2011). "Forbes 30 under 30: Art & Design". Retrieved 2011-12-19.