Aaron Simpson (fighter)
July 20, 1974 |
Gunnison, Colorado, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||73 in (190 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.|
|Team||Power MMA Team|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Arizona State University|
|Notable school(s)||Antelope Union High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Aaron Michael Simpson (born July 20, 1974) is an American mixed martial artist who competes as a Welterweight in the World Series of Fighting organization and has also fought as a Middleweight. While perhaps best known for his 12-fight stint in the UFC, holding an 8-4 record while fighting mostly as a Middleweight and also competed in the WEC.
Simpson was born in Gunnison, Colorado and grew up in Wellton, Arizona, where he attended Antelope Union High School. In high school he was a standout wrestler, compiling an amazing 142-1 record, and earned four state wrestling championships before going to compete in the sport for Arizona State University originally as a walk on before earning his scholarship. He compiled 110 wins and earned NCAA All-American status in 1996 and 1998 and then became an assistant coach for ASU and spent nine years there in that position. Simpson then worked as an assistant coach at California Polytechnic State University.
Mixed martial arts
World Extreme Cagefighting
Ultimate Fighting Championship
He was set to have his second fight against Dan Miller on September 16, 2009, at UFC Fight Night 19. Instead the fight was moved to UFC 102 where he fought Ed Herman. Simpson won by technical knockout when Herman went down with a knee injury in the second round.
Simpson was expected to face Chris Leben at UFC 114, but the bout took place instead on June 19, 2010, at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale. Simpson lost the fight via TKO at 4:17 of round 2. Simpson started out strong, using his wrestling to bring the heavier hitting Leben down multiple times. In the second round, Simpson came out gassed and ate multiple shots against the cage before turning and running away, falling against the cage, forcing the referee to save him.
Simpson returned to winning by defeating Mario Miranda on March 26, 2011, at UFC Fight Night 24. Simpson dominated the fight by controlling Miranda on the ground en route to a unanimous decision victory. The judges scored the fight (30–27, 30–27, 30–26).
Simpson was expected to face returning UFC veteran Jason Miller on July 2, 2011 at UFC 132. However, on May 27, 2011, it was revealed that Miller would be one of the coaches of The Ultimate Fighter Season 14, opposite to Michael Bisping and had been pulled from the bout, while Simpson faced Brad Tavares. Simpson won via unanimous decision.
Simpson was expected to face Nick Catone on October 8, 2011 at UFC 136. However, Catone was forced out of the bout after tearing an Achilles tendon, and replaced by Eric Schafer, who he defeated by unanimous decision.
Simpson was expected to face Jon Fitch on July 11, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman. However, Fitch pulled out of the bout citing a knee injury and was replaced by returning veteran Kenny Robertson. Simpson won a unanimous decision over Robertson.
Simpson fought Mike Pierce on October 5, 2012 at UFC on FX 5. After nearly finishing Pierce on two separate occasions in the first round, Simpson was knocked out 29 seconds into the second round. After the loss, the UFC chose not to renew Simpson's contract.
World Series of Fighting
Following his UFC release, Simpson signed with the new MMA company World Series of Fighting. He fought Josh Burkman at World Series of Fighting 2 on March 23, 2013. He lost his debut via TKO in the first round.
Simpson and his wife have twins, a boy named Domenico and a girl named Mia, who were born in June 2008 via a surrogate, Simpson's mother-in-law. The couple also adopted a 16-year-old girl named Claire. Simpson was also featured on an episode of American Gladiators Season Two. Simpson and his wife are vegetarians. "I read a book called ‘Eating Animals’ that changed my thoughts,” he said. “And I’m an animal lover. I couldn’t justify what I was eating any more by the way meat is factory produced now and full of hormones, the way the animals are killed, it really turns me off."
Championships and accomplishments
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|17 matches||12 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||12–5||Josh Burkman||KO (knee and punches)||World Series of Fighting 2||March 23, 2013||1||3:04||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||12–4||Mike Pierce||KO (punch)||UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot||October 5, 2012||2||0:29||Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States|
|Win||12–3||Kenny Robertson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman||July 11, 2012||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||Welterweight debut|
|Loss||11–3||Ronny Markes||Decision (split)||UFC on Fuel TV: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger||February 15, 2012||3||5:00||Omaha, Nebraska, United States|
|Win||11–2||Eric Schafer||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 136||October 8, 2011||3||5:00||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||10–2||Brad Tavares||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 132||July 2, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–2||Mario Miranda||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Loss||8–2||Mark Muñoz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 123||November 20, 2010||3||5:00||Auburn Hills, Michigan, United States|
|Loss||8–1||Chris Leben||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale||June 19, 2010||2||4:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–0||Tom Lawlor||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Win||7–0||Ed Herman||TKO (knee injury)||UFC 102||August 29, 2009||2||0:17||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||6–0||Tim McKenzie||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann||April 1, 2009||1||1:40||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Knockout of the Night|
|Win||5–0||David Avellan||KO (punch)||WEC 36||November 5, 2008||1||0:18||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||4–0||Travis Degraw||TKO (punches)||Full Moon Fighting 2||May 31, 2008||3||3:22||Rocky Point, Mexico|
|Win||3–0||Scott Dingman||TKO (punches)||Tuff-N-Uff: Thompson vs. Troyer||February 8, 2008||1||2:40||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||2–0||Tim Coulson||TKO (punches)||Proving Grounds 2||October 5, 2007||1||3:44||Cayman Islands|
|Win||1–0||Billy Onlewski||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Arizona Cage Combat||April 16, 2000||1||4:02||Payson, Arizona, United States|
- "Aaron Simpson vs. Dan Miller for UFN 19". Bloody Elbow.
- "UFC Fight Night 20 recap". mmajunkie. January 12, 2010.
- "Chris Leben vs. Aaron Simpson Moved From UFC 114 to The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale". mmafrenzy.com. April 5, 2010.
- "AARON SIMPSON HOSPITALIZED AFTER SURGERY". mmaweekly.com. August 6, 2010.
- "MUNOZ FACES SIMPSON AT UFC 123 IN DETROIT". mmaweekly.com. September 14, 2010.
- "Aaron Simpson vs. Mario Miranda At UFC Fight Night in Seattle". mmaweekly.com. December 29, 2010.
- "Jason "Mayhem" Miller faces Aaron Simpson in his return at UFC 132 in July". MMA Weekly. April 23, 2011.
- ""The Ultimate Fighter 14" coaches? Michael Bisping and "Mayhem" Miller". Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- "UFC 132: Aaron Simpson vs Brad Tavares fight booked for July 2 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. May 31, 2011.
- "Nick Catone vs. Aaron Simpson added to October's UFC 136 event". mmajunkie.com. July 18, 2011.
- Becker, Dana (September 8, 2011). "Nick Catone Out Of UFC 136 Fight With Aaron Simpson". FightLine.com. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "Eric Schafer returns to UFC, meets Aaron Simpson at UFC 136". mmajunkie.com. September 10, 2011. Retrieved September 10, 2011.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 1 adds Simpson vs. Markes". mmajunkie.com. December 14, 2011. Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- Damon Martin (March 3, 2012). "Aaron Simpson Headed in for Surgery Then to a Drop to Welterweight". mmaweekly.com.
- "Aaron Simpson vs. Jon Fitch". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 4: Aaron Simpson vs Kenny Robertson fight booked with Jon Fitch hurt". mmamania.com. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Mike Pierce vs. Aaron Simpson on tap for UFC on FX 5 in Minneapolis". mmajunkie.com. August 2, 2012.
- MMAjunkie.com Staff (February 13, 2013). "WSOF 2 main card includes Burkman-Simpson, Branch-Filho, Cavalcante-Gaethje". MMAjunkie.com.
- "UFN 18's Aaron Simpson has been blessed multiple times". MMAJUNKIE.com. March 26, 2009. Retrieved July 19, 2009.
- "Vegetarian Simpson Hungry for More". March 24, 2011. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- "Aaron Simpson - Arizona State Sun Devils". thesundevils.com.