St Margaret's Church, Abbotsley
Abbotsley shown within Cambridgeshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Abbotsley is a village and civil parish within the Huntingdonshire district of Cambridgeshire, England. It is three miles from St Neots and 14 miles from the county town of Cambridge. At the time of the 2001 census, the resident population was 425 people living in 164 households.
Abbotsley parish council comprises seven councillors, a chairman and clerk. The parish is represented by two councillors for the Gransden and the Offords ward on the district council and on Cambridgeshire County Council by one councillor for the Buckden, Gransden and the Offords electoral division. It is in the constituency of Huntingdon, represented at the House of Commons by Jonathan Djanogly.
Abbotsley village is 14 miles from the county town of Cambridge and 47 miles from London. It is on the B1046 road between Great Gransden and St Neots. The elevation of the parish is between 22 and 60 metres (72-197 feet) above sea level. The subsoil is Oxford and Ampthill clay.
19 buildings in Abbotsley are listed (including the church). Among them are four houses along Blacksmiths Lane, nine houses along the High Street, a red telephone box and a table tomb in the churchyard.
St Margaret's Church has stood in Abbotsley since around 1300, though there was a church in the village as early as 1138. The current building was restored in 1854 and 1861 and the tower in 1884; it is a Grade II* listed building. Abbotsley is part of the deanery of St Neots and diocese of Ely.
Culture and community
A village hall is used for meetings, events and private functions. An annual Feast Week and Scarecrow Festival is held to raise money for maintenance of the village hall. Residents construct themed scarecrows and place them outside their houses for a week while there are various fundraising events held.
||Eynesbury Hardwicke||Eynesbury Hardwicke||Croxton|
|Eynesbury Hardwicke||Great Gransden|
- Huntingdonshire District Council: Abbotsley
- Cambridgeshire County Council: Find my local county councillor
- Cambridgeshire County Council: 2001 census profile: Abbotsley
- Mills, A.D. (1998). A Dictionary of English Place-names. Second Edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford. p1. ISBN 0-19-280074-4
- GENUKI: Abbotsley
- Abbotsley Village
- Huntingdonshire District Council: Abbotsley Parish Council
- UK Parliament: Find your MP
- Ordnance Survey: getamap.co.uk
- Roll of Honour: Abbotsley
- Images of England: Telephone kiosk
- Images of England: Table tomb
- Parishes: Abbotsley', A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 2 (1932), pp. 257-260. Date accessed: 20 July 2008
- Images of England: St Margaret's Church
- Diocese of Ely
Media related to Abbotsley at Wikimedia Commons