Abby Denson is an American artist, comics creator, illustrator and musician.
Abby Denson was born in Illinois,[where?] and grew up in West Hartford, Connecticut. She currently lives in New York City, and is the creator of City Sweet Tooth, her online blog that reviews the city's best sweets and treats in unique comic book form.
Abby Denson released her first self-published minicomic in 1996. Entitled Tough Love, a paperback comic about the story of two gay teenagers in high school. The characters were Brian, a cute shy suburban boy, Chris, a kung-fu fighter, and Julie, Brian's best friend. Abby sent a copy to XY Magazine for review; the editors at XY chose instead to serialize the comic in their publication, where it ran for a number of years, garnering Tough Love many fans. At the same time, Denson continued to release the series as a minicomic, until the story came to an end. Abby was also the illustrator for the cover of the special Survival Guide edition of XY.
In 2006, the entire series was reprinted as a graphic novel by Manic D Press, entitled Tough Love: High School Confidential. The next year, in 2007, Abby Denson won the '2007 Lulu of the Year' Award from the comics organization Friends of Lulu.
Abby Denson has also worked on several newsstand comics, such as Amazing Spider-Man Family, Josie and the Pussycats, The Powerpuff Girls, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, and others. At the same time, she has continued to release her own self-published comics which include the titles Night Club, Jamie Starr Teen Drag Queen, Deadsy Cat & Kissy Kitty, Cute Boys of the 80's, and others.
Abby is also a contributor to the Friends of Lulu published anthology, The Girls' Guide To Guy's Stuff; Robert Kirby and David Kelly's anthology, The Book of Boy Trouble 2; and Tim Fish's anthology, Young Bottoms In Love.
Abby has been in a number of bands including the all-women band Mz. Pakman, Let's Audio, Abbymatic and, most recently, The Saturday Night Things. She also collaborated with Rodney Greenblat on the album Let's Audio.
- The Book of Boy Trouble 2: Born to Trouble, edited by Robert Kirby and David Kelly, Green Candy Press, 2008 ISBN 978-1-931160-65-0
- The Girls' Guide to Guy's Stuff, Friends of Lulu, 2007
- Young Bottoms In Love, edited by Tim Fish, Poison Press, 2007 ISBN 978-0-9762786-7-2
- Eismann, Sonja (2008), "Abbycomix", Grrrlzine Network, retrieved 2008-02-15
- "The 4th International MANGA Award". manga-award.jp. International MANGA Award Executive Committee. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Abby Denson's website, Abbycomix
- Abby Denson's cartoon dessert blog, City Sweet Tooth
- Interview with Abby Denson
- Comic artist Abby Denson makes a difference with 'Dolltopia' August 2008 interview with the New York Daily News.
- Abby Denson's Tough Love at ZineWiki