Abd al-Kuri sparrow
|Abd al-Kuri sparrow|
|Female (above) and male (below) in an illustration by Henrik Grönvold|
Ogilvie-Grant and Forbes, 1900
The Abd al-Kuri sparrow (Passer hemileucus) is a passerine bird endemic to the small island of Abd al Kuri (also spelled several other ways) in the Socotra archiplago of the Indian Ocean, off the Horn of Africa. Though this species was originally described as a distinct species, it is usually considered the same as the Socotra sparrow. A study by Guy Kirwan showed significant differences from the Socotra sparrow, and that the two sparrows might even have different origins. On the evidence that it is morphologically distinct, BirdLife International (and hence the IUCN Red List) recognised it as a species, and it was listed in the IOC World Bird List from December 2009. It has a very restricted distribution, and a population of under 1,000 individuals, so despite not having any known threats it is considered a Vulnerable species on the IUCN Red List.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Passer hemileucus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Summers-Smith 1988, p. 92
- Kirwan, Guy M. (2008). "Studies of Socotran Birds III. Morphological and mensural evidence for a 'new' species in the Rufous Sparrow Passer motitensis complex endemic to the island of Abd 'Al Kuri, with the validation of Passer insularis Sclater & Hartlaub, 1881". Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club 128 (2): 83–93.
- BirdLife International (2010). "Species factsheet: Passer hemileucus". Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Gill, F.; and Donsker, D., ed. (10 July 2011). "Species Updates – IOC Version 2.3". IOC World Bird List Version 2.9. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- Works cited
- Balfour, I. B.; Forbes, Henry O. (1903). "The Birds of Abd-el-Kuri". In Forbes, Henry O. (ed.). The Natural History of Sokotra and Abd-el-kuri. London: R. H. Porter.
- Ogilvie-Grant, W. R.; Forbes, Henry O. (May 1899). "The Expedition to Socotra I. Descriptions of the New Species of Birds". Bulletin of the Liverpool Museums Under the City Council II (I).
- Summers-Smith, J. Denis (1988). The Sparrows. illustrated by Robert Gillmor. Calton, Staffs, England: T. & A. D. Poyser. ISBN 0-85661-048-8.