Abdallah Bin Bayyah
|Abdullah bin Bayyah|
|Born||1935 (age 78–79)
|Residence||Jeddah, Saudi Arabia|
|Employer||King Abdul Aziz University|
|Religion||Sunni Islam (Maliki)|
Abdallah bin Mahfudh ibn Bayyah (born 1935) was born in Mauritania. He teaches at King Abdul Aziz University in Saudi Arabia. He is a specialist in all four traditional Sunni schools, with an emphasis on the Maliki Madh'hab.
Bin Bayyah is involved in number of scholarly councils including The Islamic Fiqh Council, a Saudi-based Institute, he was also the Vice-President of International Union of Muslim Scholars. from which he resigned mid 2013. He is also a member of the Dublin-based European Council for Fatwa and Research, a council of Muslim clerics that aims at explaining Islamic law in a way that is sensitive to the realities of European Muslims.
He was ranked amongst the 500 most influential Muslims from 2009 - 2013.
In his youth, he was appointed to study legal judgments in Tunis. On returning to Mauritania, he became Minister of Education and later Minister of Justice. He was also appointed a Vice President of the first president of Mauritania.
- Manufacturing of Fatwa and minority fiqh, 2005.
- A dialogue about human rights in Islam, 2003.
- Ideological opinions (فتاوى فكرية)
- Amaly Alddalalat (Usul alfiqh), 2003.
- Terrorism: a Diagnosis and Solutions
- The Discourse of Security in Islam and the Culture of Tolerance and Harmony
- Fatwas and Reflections
- A clarification on the various legal opinions pertaining to financial transactions
- The Benefits of Endowments
- Evidence for those suffering from illnesses on the immense Divine award that awaits them
- Aims and their Proof
Responsibilities and positions
- Director of the Global Center for Renewal & Guidance, UK
- Member of the European Research & Fatwa Council, Ireland
- Deputy President of the International Association of Muslim Scholars, Beirut
- Member if the Association of Indian Jurists, Delhi
- Member of The Royal Aal al-Bayt Institute for Islamic Thought, Jordan
- Member of the Counsel of Jurists attached to the Organisation of Islamic Conference, Jeddah
- Member of the Specialist Panel presiding over the Prince Naif ben Abdul Aziz prize for Prophetic Traditions and Islamic Studies
- Member of the Muslim League’s International High Council of Mosques, Mecca
- Member of the International Aid Organisation of Kuwait
- Member of the Lecturing Staff at the King Abdul Aziz University in Jeddah in which he is a lecturer
- Member of the High Council in the Centre for Studying the Aims of Sharia, UK
Medals and awards
- Awarded the King Abdul Aziz Medal with the Rank of Distinction
- Awarded the Jordanian Medal First Degree
- Awarded the King Abdullah II of Jordan Prize for Scholars and Callers to God, Jordan
- The Degree of the Organisation of Islamic Conference with Distinction, and others
- Awarded the Chinguetti Prize for the Category of Islamic Studies for his book “A Dialogue from Afar” 
- John Gallagher, Eric D. Patterson, Debating the War of Ideas, p 51. ISBN 0230101984
- Gerhard Böwering, Patricia Crone, Mahan Mirza, The Princeton Encyclopedia of Islamic Political Thought, p. 347. ISBN 0691134847
- John Gallagher, Eric D, Debating the War of Ideas, p 51. ISBN 0230101984
- Members list (Arabic)
- List of Members of the European Council for Fatwa and Research
- "500 Most Influential Muslims". December 8, 2013.
- Bin Bayyah's official reply to Amman Message
- Gerhard Böwering, Patricia Crone, Mahan Mirza, The Princeton Encyclopedia of Islamic Political Thought, p 347. ISBN 0691134847
- Bin Bayyah's Biography
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abdallah Bin Bayyah.|
- Abdallah bin Bayyah's Official Website (Arabic)
- A Biography of Abdallah bin Bayyah from the Deen Intensive Foundation
- With the Shaykh
- Muslims Living in Non-Muslim Lands, by Shaykh Abdallah bin Bayyah
- Muslim scholars recast jihadists' favorite fatwa
- Shaikh Bin Bayyah and Bill Gates discuss the "Global Polio Eradication Initiative" at Abu Dhabi's Vaccine Summet