Kechiche at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
7 December 1960 |
|Occupation||Actor, film director, screenwriter|
Abdellatif Kechiche (Arabic: عبد اللطيف كشيش, born 7 December 1960) is a Tunisian-French actor, film director and screenwriter. He made his directorial debut in 2000 with La Faute à Voltaire (fr/it/pl) (Blame it on Voltaire), aka Poetical Refugee, which he also wrote.
Life and career
He directed Games of Love and Chance, known as L'esquive, which won a César Award for Best Film and Best Director. He presented The Secret of the Grain at the 64th Mostra del Cinema in Venice for which he was awarded the Special Jury Prize. The film also received the FIPRESCI Prize, the Louis Delluc Prize and the César Awards for Best Film and Best Director.
As an actor, his introduction to most English-speaking audiences was starring as Ashade the taxi driver in the 2005 psychological thriller Sorry, Haters, an "official selection" in both the Toronto and American Film Institute's film festivals.
His 2013 film Blue Is the Warmest Colour won the Palme d'Or and the FIPRESCI Prize at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. Several days later a controversy erupted about Kechiche's work methods; technicians on the film accused him of harassment, unpaid overtime and violations of labour laws. The two main actresses, Léa Seydoux and Adèle Exarchopoulos, also complained about Kechiche's behaviour during the shooting but later in an extensive interview claimed that although he was difficult to work with it had been worth it as he was a great filmmaker. The film also won Best International Independent Film at the British Independent Film Awards in 2013.
|2000||La Faute à Voltaire (fr/it/pl)||Director|
|2003||Games of Love and Chance||Director||César Award for Best Director|
|2007||The Secret of the Grain||Director||César Award for Best Director
Louis Delluc Prize
|2013||Blue Is the Warmest Colour||Director||Palme d'Or (shared with Léa Seydoux and Adèle Exarchopoulos)
FIPRESCI Prize (2013 Cannes Film Festival)
Best International Independent Film (2013 British Independent Film Awards)
Louis Delluc Prize
- Denby, David (12 January 2009). "The Current Cinema: Survivors". The New Yorker 84 (44): 72–73. Retrieved 27 March 2009. Review of The Secret of the Grain.
- Fiche Allociné sur Abdellatif Kechiche
- Quand Abdellatif Kechiche était décoré par Ben Ali, Oumma.com, 28 May 2013.
- "Cannes Film Festival: Awards 2013". Cannes. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Blue is the warmest colour team win Palme d'Or at Cannes 2013". RFI. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Cannes: 'The Missing Picture' Wins Un Certain Regard Prize". Hollywood Reporter. 26 May 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Polémique autour du tournage de la «Vie d’Adèle», La Croix, 29 May 2013.
- "Nominations 2013". British Independent Film Awards. Retrieved 9 December 2013.