Abdul Gani Patail
|Yang Berbahagia Tan Sri Datuk Seri Panglima
Abdul Gani Patail
|Attorney General of Malaysia|
1 January 2002
|Preceded by||YBhg. Tan Sri Dato' Seri Ainum Mohd Saaid|
|Born||6 October 1955|
|Spouse(s)||YBhg. Puan Sri Datin Seri Panglima Maimun Datuk Haji Arif|
|Alma mater||University of Malaya|
Abdul Gani Patail graduated Bachelor of Laws (Hons) degree from the University of Malaya in 1979. He began his legal career the following year as a Deputy Public Prosecutor (the title for a prosecuting officer in Malaysia) in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. In 1985, he was promoted to Senior Federal Counsel for Sabah.
In January 1994, Abdul Gani moved to the Attorney General's Chambers in Kuala Lumpur. There he was appointed Head of the Prosecution Division (1994 and again in 2000), Head of the Advisory and International Division (1995) and Commissioner of Law Revision (1997).
On January 1, 2002, he was appointed Attorney General of Malaysia.
Anwar sodomy trial
It was during his time as Commissioner of Law Revision that Abdul Gani was chosen to lead the prosecution against Anwar Ibrahim during Anwar's corruption and sodomy trial of 1998. Anwar was sentenced to a combined 15 years in prison for corruption and sodomy in April 1999 and August 2000 respectively. The sodomy conviction was overturned in 2004 by the Federal Court.
Anwar has personally accused Abdul Gani and then Assistant Commissioner of Police Musa Hassan of fabricating evidence against him during the trial, in particular introducing the medical report that suggested Anwar's black-eye sustained from beatings in prison were self-inflicted. His claims have been backed by former police officer Mat Zain Ibrahim who investigated the 'black eye' incident.
- "Sodomy II prosecutor honoured with Federal award". The Malaysian Insider. June 5, 2010.
- Attorney General's Profile Attorney General's Chambers. Accessed June 13, 2010
- Colvin, Mark (2 September 2004). "Anwar Ibrahim freed after sodomy sentence overturned". abc.net.au. Retrieved 31 March 2010.
- Lau, Leslie (May 29, 2009). "Ex-cop implicates Abdul Gani, Musa in Anwar black-eye case". The Malaysian Insider. (mirror)
- Beh, Lih Yi (October 10, 2008). "Ex-cop: How AG interfered in 'black eye' case". Malaysiakini.