Abdul Rahman Abbas
|Tuan Yang Terutama Tun Dato' Seri Utama
Abdul Rahman Abbas
|Abdul Rahman Abbas in 2009|
|7th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Penang|
1 May 2001
|Preceded by||Hamdan bin Sheikh Tahir|
|Speaker of the Penang State Assembly|
21 October 1990 – 4 April 1995
|Preceded by||Ooi Ean Kwong|
|Succeeded by||Yahaya Abdul Hamid|
15 May 1938 |
Permatang Pauh, Penang, Straits Settlements
|Spouse(s)||Toh Puan Dato' Seri Utama Hajah Majimor binti Shariff|
|Alma mater||University of Malaya|
Tun Dato' Seri Utama Haji Abdul Rahman bin Haji Abbas is the current Yang di-Pertua Negeri (the Head of the State/ the Supreme Head of the State) of the state of Penang, Malaysia. The post is synonymous with its English term - Governor. He is a former politician from the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO). Abdul Rahman was appointed to the governorship by the King in May 2001 and has since been reappointed three times, in 2005, 2009 and 2011.
Tun Abdul Rahman studied at Permatang Sintok Malay School in Kepala Batas and Sultan Idris Teachers College in Tanjung Malim before attending a teaching course at the Language Institute, Kuala Lumpur. He obtained his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Malaya in 1973. After graduating, Abdul Rahman became a teacher.
Abdul Rahman joined UMNO after ending his career in teaching. He was an exco member of the party's Youth wing (1975–1979) and held the position of Kepala Batas division treasurer from 1995 to his appointment as Governor.
In 1977, Abdul Rahman was elected to the Penang State Assembly in a by-election following the death of Ahmad Badawi Haji Abdullah, the father of former prime minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. During the four terms he served, Abdul Rahman was also a member of the state executive council under Chief Minister Lim Chong Eu. In his final term, he was elected Speaker of the State Assembly.
Yang di-Pertua Negeri
Abdul Rahman was appointed Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Penang by Yang di-Pertuan Agong Tuanku Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah in May 2001 for four years. In 2005, his term was extended for another four years by Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin. He was reappointed by Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin in 2009 and 2011.
Honours & titles of Abdul Rahman Abbas
He has been awarded :
He holds currently the title of "Tun Datuk Seri Utama" by combination of his highest Federal Malaysian title "Tun" (SMN) and his highest Malaccan title "Datuk Seri Utama" (DUNM)
In other states of Malaysia, a similar combination between his highest Federal Malaysian title "Tun" (SMN) and his local highest title may be used. Example : Tun Datuk Seri Panglima in Sabah.
Honours of Penang
- As 7th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Penang (since 1 May 2001)
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia :
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (SMN) with title Tun
- Kedah :
- Member of the Supreme Order of Sri Mahawangsa (DMK)
- Sabah :
- Grand Commander of the Order of Kinabalu (SPDK) with title Datuk Seri Panglima
- Sarawak :
- Knight Grand Commander (Datuk Patinggi) of the Order of the Star of Hornbill Sarawak (DP) with title Datuk Patinggi
Honours & titles of Majimor binti Shariff
Toh Puan Dato' Seri Utama Hajah Majimor binti Shariff has been awarded :
She holds currently the title of "Toh Puan Datuk Seri Utama" by combination of the female form "Toh Puan" connected to her husband's highest Federal Malaysian title "Tun" (SMN) and her highest Malaccan title "Datuk Seri Utama" (DUNM)
Honours of Penang
- As wife of the 7th Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Penang (since 1 May 2001) :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Defender of State (DUPN) with title Dato’ Seri Utama
- "Abdul Rahman Takes Oath as Penang YDP For Fourth Term". Bernama. 2011-04-30. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- List of Malay rulers with orders details
- decorations of Penang : Order of the Defender of State founded in 01/08/1967
- List of Malay consorts of rulers with details of orders
- "Biografi" (in Malay). Penang State Government. Archived from the original on 14 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-30.