Abdul Rashid Khan
|Abdul Rashid Khan|
Abdul Rashid Khan
|Also known as||Rasan Piya|
|Born||19 August 1908|
|Origin||Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, resident guru at ITC Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata|
|Years active||1973 - Present|
Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan (born 19 August 1908) is a vocalist of Hindustani music genre. he belongs to the musical tradition of Miya Tansen. Apart from khayal, he sings dhrupad, dhamar and thumri with equal versatility.
Khan was born in a family of musicians tracing back to Behram Khan, who was a singer of traditional Gwalior gharana gayaki. His father's elder brother Bade Yusuf Khan and his father initially trained him. His father Chhote Yusuf Khan was his guru. This was followed with extensive taleem from his family elders, like Chand Khan, Barkhudar Khan, Mahtab Khan who had imbibed the Gwalior Gayaki. He further developed this style suiting his own artistic sensitivity.
Khan's traditional compositions have been recorded by the BBC and Iraq Radio. Organizations like Uttar Pradesh Sangeet Natak Academi, Lucknow and ITC Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata have recorded and preserved more than 1500 compositions. During the past several decades, he has been a regular performer on Akashvani and Doordarshan Lucknow. Khan has participated in many national and regional conferences like Sadarang Conference, Godrej Conference, Lucknow Mahotsav, Dover Lance Conference, ITC Sangeet Sammelan, Prayag Sangeet Samiti Sangeet Sammelan all over India and has been felicited by Critics, fellow artists and many reputed recognized institutions like Uttar Pradesh Sangeet Natak Academy, (1981), Banaras Hindu University (1993), Eastern Zone cultural center and Press club Kolkata.
Khan has composed more than two thousand compositions and is also a prolific writer and poet under the pseudonym "Rasan Piya". Many compositions (bandish) that he sings are his own creations. He has trained numerous students in his lifetime. He is now a "guru" at ITC Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata.
Awards and Recogonitions
- ITC award (1994)
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (2009) 
- Kashi Swar Ganga Award (2003)
- Ras Sagar (title) Award (2004)
- Bhuwalka Award (2010)
- Padma Bhushan (2013) - the oldest person ever to be conferred a Padma award.
- Lifetime achievement award (2013) by Government of NCT of Delhi.
He has been a member of the All India Radio Audition Committee, New Delhi and has been awarded with many titles by the different reputed organizations like 'Sangeet Maharishi', 'Sangeet Sartaz', 'Rassagar', 'Bandish Samarat'.
- "The tapestry of tradition : YOUR WEEK News". India Today. 2008-06-02. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- Jaskiran Kapoor (2010). "The centennial man". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2012-03-25.
- "Ragas For Late Winter". Outlook. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Bhuwalka Award 2010". ITC Sangeet Research Academy. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "SNA: List of Akademi Awardees". Official website.
- "At 105, Abdul Rashid Khan becomes oldest person to get Padma Shri". First Post. 25 January 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2013.