International Centre for Theoretical Physics
|The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics|
Previous Director: K.R. SreenivasanFounding Director: Abdus Salam
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) is an international research institute for physical and mathematical sciences that operates under a tripartite agreement between the Italian Government, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). It is located near the Miramare Park, about 10 kilometres from the city of Trieste, Italy. The centre was founded in 1964 by Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam.
- Foster the growth of advanced studies and research in physical and mathematical sciences, especially in support of excellence in developing countries;
- Develop high-level scientific programmes keeping in mind the needs of developing countries, and provide an international forum of scientific contact for scientists from all countries;
- Conduct research at the highest international standards and maintain a conducive environment of scientific inquiry for the entire ICTP community.
Research at ICTP is carried out by six scientific sections: 
- High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics
- Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics
- Earth System Physics
- Applied Physics
- New Research Areas
The scientific community at ICTP includes staff research scientists, postdoctoral fellows and long- and short-term visitors engaged in independent or collaborative research. Throughout the year, the sections organize conferences, workshops, seminars and colloquiums in their respective fields. ICTP also has visitor programmes specifically for scientific visitors from developing countries, including programmes under federation and associateship schemes. 
Postgraduate Programmes 
ICTP offers educational training through its pre-PhD programmes and degree programmes (conducted in collaboration with other institutes).
- Postgraduate diploma programmes in Condensed Matter Physics, High Energy Physics, Mathematics and Earth System Physics for students from developing countries.
- The Sandwich Training Educational Programme (STEP) for students from developing countries already enrolled in PhD programmes in the fields of physics and mathematics.
In collaboration with other institutes, ICTP offers masters and doctoral degrees in physics and mathematics.
- Joint ICTP/SISSA PhD Programme in Physics and Mathematics
- Joint PhD Programme in Environmental Fluid Mechanics
- Joint Laurea Magistralis in Physics
- Joint ICTP/Collegio Carlo Alberto Program in Economics
- International Master, Physics of Complex Systems
In addition, ICTP collaborates with local laboratories, including Elettra Synchrotron Light Laboratory, to provide fellowships and laboratory opportunities.
Prizes and Awards 
ICTP has instituted awards to honour and encourage high-level research in the fields of physics and mathematics.
- The Dirac Medal - For scientists who have made significant contributions to theoretical physics.
- The ICTP Prize - For young scientists from developing countries.
- ICO/ICTP Gallieno Denardo Award - For significant contributions to the field of optics.
- The Ramanujan Prize - For young mathematicians from developing countries.
Regional Branches 
On February 6 2012, ICTP opened a regional branch (ICTP South American Institute for Fundamental Research) in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Its activities are modelled on those of the ICTP and include schools and workshops, as well as a visiting scientists programme.
See also 
- Abdus Salam
- International School for Advanced Studies
- University of Trieste
- ICTP Science Dissemination Unit
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: International Centre for Theoretical Physics|