Abellio (transport company)
|Founded||2001 (as NedRailways)|
|Key people||Jeff Hoogesteger, CEO|
Abellio operates public transport services in Europe, with both bus and rail networks. It was founded as NedRailways in 2001, before being renamed Abellio in October 2009. Abellio is the international arm of the Dutch national rail operator Nederlandse Spoorwegen.
Abellio operates several regional railway lines in the German state of Northrhine-Westfalia as well as owning several bus companies throughout Germany, through Abellio Deutschland.
Abellio entered the UK bus market in May 2009 purchasing the Travel London and Travel Surrey businesses from National Express and rebranding them Abellio London and Abellio Surrey in October 2009. Both operate in the South East of the United Kingdom.
Abellio have a 50% shareholding in Serco-Abellio that has bid for a number of UK rail franchises, operating the Merseyrail franchise since July 2003 and the Northern Rail franchise since December 2004. Serco-Abellio also lodged unsuccessful bids for the Wales & Borders and West Midlands franchises.
Abellio have also bid for a number of franchises in their own right, lodging bids for the South Western (in partnership with FirstGroup), London Overground, South Central, InterCity West Coast, Essex Thameside and Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchises.
Abellio bought the established bus enterprise PROBO BUS a.s. and run its network in the Czech Republic since 2009. It consists of regional bus transport in Beroun District and surroundings and some long-distance bus lines between Prague and South and West Bohemia.
Abellio CZ a.s. founded in July 2011 is a Czech daughter of Abellio Transport CZ Holding B.V. Since 2011 April 1, their member of board is Petr Moravec, formerly general manager of Veolia Transport Česká republika and manager of personal transport of Czech Railways (ČD). In spring of 2012, Abellio CZ lodged an extensive complaint about wrong assignment of the tender to running of fast train line Ostrava – Krnov – Olomouc. The complaints were completely rejected.
In November 2013, Abellio sold their Czech subsidiary Abellio CZ and a bus company PROBO BUS to DB Mobility Logistics AG of Deutsche Bahn group and ïnstalled attorneys of ARRIVA holding Česká republika s.r.o. to their board.
- National Express Group plc agreement to sell Travel London National Express Group 21 May 2009
- Merseyrail franchise goes Dutch The Telegraph 24 April 2003
- Serco-NedRailways Announced as Preferred Bidder for new Northern Rail franchise Strategic Rail Authority 1 July 2004
- Short Listed Bidders for Greater Anglia and InterCity West Coast Rail Franchises Department for Transport 24 March 2011
- Bidders to oversee improvements on rail franchises announced Department for Transport 29 March 2012
- Greater Anglia rail franchise announcement Department for Transport 20 October 2011
- Dutch firms wins ScotRail franchise from FirstGroup BBC News 8 October 2014
- Abellio awarded ScotRail franchise Railway Gazette 8 October 2014
- Abellio awarded contract to operate Scotland's National Railway, ScotRail Abellio
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abellio (transport company).|