Aberdeen, North Carolina
|Aberdeen, North Carolina|
Aberdeen train station
Location in Moore County and the state of North Carolina.
|• Type||Commissioner/ Manager|
|• Mayor||Betsy Mofield|
|• Total||6.2 sq mi (16.0 km2)|
|• Land||6.2 sq mi (16.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||344 ft (105 m)|
|• Density||814.8/sq mi (314.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1018757|
Aberdeen is located at (35.138494, -79.427701).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 6.2 square miles (16 km2), of which, 6.2 square miles (16 km2) of it is land and 0.16% is water.
As of 2007, there were 5,052 people. In 2000 there were 1,526 households, and 929 families residing in the town. The population density was 551.6 people per square mile (213.1/km²). There were 1,655 housing units at an average density of 268.5 per square mile (103.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 73.03% White, 21.76% African American, 0.94% Native American, 1.21% Asian, 1.76% from other races, and 1.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.97% of the population.
There were 1,526 households out of which 25.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.4% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.1% were non-families. 34.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.1% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 21.4% from 45 to 64, and 18.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 90.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,911, and the median income for a family was $42,383. Males had a median income of $30,906 versus $23,403 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,045. About 9.8% of families and 13.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.5% of those under age 18 and 19.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "Cape Fear Region Results". Fayetteville Observer. November 9, 2011.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
Media related to Aberdeen, North Carolina at Wikimedia Commons
- Aberdeen NC History and Photos
- Official town website
- Moore County Chamber of Commerce
- Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen Area Convention & Visitors Bureau Website
- Aberdeen, North Carolina Info and History Website
- Sandhills Guide Website