Aberdeen High School (Maryland)
|Aberdeen High School|
|251 Paradise Road
Aberdeen, Harford County, Maryland, 21001
|School district||Harford County Public Schools|
|NCES District ID||2400390|
|NCES School ID||240039000679|
|Principal||Michael L. O'Brien|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold
|Side view of Aberdeen High School, including main entrance|
|Front view of Aberdeen High School, exterior of library|
The school is a part of the Harford County Public Schools.
Aberdeen High School's performance on the Maryland High School Assessment test is close to equivalent to the state average. In algebra, the average proficiency was 3.1 out of five, the same as the average in the state. In English, the average proficiency was 2.9 out of five, while the state's average proficieny was 3.0. 
Science and Mathematics Academy
The Science and Mathematics Academy (SMA) is a magnet program located at Aberdeen High School in Aberdeen, Maryland available to Harford County residents entering high school. It was founded in 2004 by its first coordinator Donna Clem and in association with Dennis Kirkwood. The school is an active member of the National Consortium for Specialized Secondary Schools of Mathematics, Science and Technology and part of Harford County Public Schools.
"The program provides students with opportunities to experience coursework in science, mathematics, and technology while emphasizing research applications. Regular communication with practicing scientists and mathematicians is a cornerstone of the program and seniors complete capstone projects. Throughout these projects they perform research under mentors who are professionals in their fields."
Classes and Programs
Within the SMA schedule, many honors classes are integrated. A.P. classes are also strongly encouraged. Electives in the SMA add to the program's uniqueness. Electives are based on interest and may not be available every year.
The SMA has a unique class called Science Research and Technology (SRT) that SMA students are required to take each of four years at the SMA. The first three years of the SRT curriculum teach students about various academic fields and prepare them for their fourth and final year of SRT, in which they complete capstone projects. Students are paired with professionals in their fields of choice to mentor them for their projects. Seniors have two one and a half hour long periods every other school day to complete their projects, which they present at the end of the year. They make posters to present their projects to the students, teachers, family, and professionals that come to the gallery walk that is held near the end of the school year. Throughout the process they have to perform research, write papers, and present their projects multiple times. All qualified Aberdeen High students can take part in the SMA Electives listed in the previous paragraph, but only SMA students can take SRT.
Clubs and organizations
- Academic Team
- Chess Club
- FIRST Robotics - Team 1980 
- French National Honor Society
- German Club
- Green Team
- Latino Dancers
- Leo Club
- National Honor Society
- Spanish Club
- Spanish National Honor Society
- Students Against Destructive Decisions
- Tri-M Music Honor Society
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Future Educators Association
- Student Government Association
- HCRASC Membership School
- Former Baltimore Orioles shortstop and Hall of Fame member Cal Ripken, Jr.
- Former Baltimore Orioles second baseman Billy Ripken
- Former Los Angeles Rams and Indianapolis Colts offensive lineman Irv Pankey
- Former Towson University and current San Antonio Spurs player Gary Neal
- Minnesota Vikings linebackers Erin and E. J. Henderson
- Former George Mason University basketball star Jai Lewis
- Former Administrator of NASA, Mike Griffin
- Playboy Playmate of the month for February 1987, Julie Peterson
- Steven M. Wise - Animal Rights Lawyer, Law Professor, Author, member of Aberdeen High School Hall of Fame
- NFL and CFL player Dondre Gilliam
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Harford County Public Schools". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 09 January 2011.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Aberdeen High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 09 January 2011.
- "Test Performance".
- "SMA - Admissions Criteria". Retrieved 4 September 2009.[dead link]
- "SMA - About SMA". Retrieved 4 September 2009.[dead link]
- "SMA Brochure". Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- "FIRST Robotics Team 1980". Retrieved 4 September 2009.