Aberdeen Station (TransLink)
|Address||4100 No. 3 Road, Richmond|
|Opened||August 17, 2009|
Aberdeen Station is a SkyTrain station on the Canada Line in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada, in the Metro Vancouver region. It is named after the adjacent Aberdeen Centre, the largest of Richmond's Asian-themed malls.
Aberdeen Station is located south of the intersection of № 3 Road and Cambie Road. The station is located in close proximity to numerous Asian-themed shopping centres along Richmond's Golden Village, including (from north to south) Yaohan Centre, President Plaza, Aberdeen Centre, and Parker Place.
The station was originally planned to be called Cambie Station by the RAV Project Management Ltd. (RAVCO), and the City of Richmond confirmed its preference for this name in July 2005. However, a naming study conducted by the Canada Line Project Management Ltd. (renamed from RAVCO) identified some concerns with that name, among them the potential for confusion since "Cambie" is used as a street name in both Richmond and Vancouver (where Canada Line runs under Cambie Street).
The study suggested the following alternate names for the city's consideration: International Station, Riverside Station, Golden Village Station, Golden Plaza Station, Asia Pacific Station, and Aberdeen Station. The first two options were selected as the internal staff recommendation; on the other hand, Aberdeen Station was not recommended by the naming study in order to avoid commercial naming, although the name could be justified on the grounds that "Aberdeen Village" is the name of the planning sub-area the station is located in.
The City of Richmond's planning committee voted on April 4, 2006 in favour of renaming it Aberdeen Station, which it claimed "would be readily identifiable in the community and synonymous with economic and population growth."
- 403 Three Road/Bridgeport Station
- 410 Railway/22nd Street Station
- N10 Richmond-Brighouse Station/Downtown
- "2011 SkyTrain Station Counts". TransLink. Retrieved January, 2013.
- City of Richmond - Report to Council re: RAV Line Station Names in Richmond. Accessed online March 4, 2010.
- City of Richmond - Report to Council re: Canada Line - Cambie Station Renaming. Accessed online March 4, 2010.
- Richmond Official Community Plan - City Centre Area Plan. Accessed online March 4, 2010.
- City of Richmond BC - April 4, 2006 Minutes. Accessed online March 4, 2010.