Abersychan Low Level railway station
|Abersychan Low Level|
|Original company||Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|2 October 1854||Opens as "Abersychan"|
|14 May 1885||Renamed|
|30 April 1962||Station closes|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Abersychan Low Level railway station served the centre of Abersychan village in the Welsh county of Monmouthshire. It was located near the junction of the A4043 and the B4246 at the eastern end of the village.
The station was opened as "Abersychan" by the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company on 2 October 1854. It was renamed "Abersychan Low Level" on 14 May 1885; this came not long after the opening of Abersychan and Talywain by the London and North Western Railway on its joint line with the Monmouthshire Railway between Pontnewynydd Junction and Varteg Colliery which opened in 1879. By this time the Monmouthshire was for most practical purposes part of the Great Western Railway, which had worked it from August 1875 and eventually took it over with effect from 1 August 1880.
The line then passed on to the Western Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. At a time of withdrawal of services on a number of other lines in South Wales, the station was closed to passengers by the British Transport Commission on 30 April 1962 and to goods in May 1962. At the time of closure the station had an approximately hourly service in each direction.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line and station closed
|Great Western Railway
Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company
Line and station closed
The site today
The site is now a residential development behind the Rising Sun public house.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Cobb, M.H. (2006) . The Railways of Great Britain: A Historical Atlas 1. Shepperton, Surrey: Ian Allan Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7110-3236-1.
- Conolly, W. Philip (2004) . British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer. Hersham, Surrey: Ian Allan. ISBN 978-0-7110-0320-0.
- Quick, Michael (2009) . Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology (4th ed.). Oxford: Railway and Canal Historical Society. ISBN 978 0 901461 57 5. OCLC 612226077.