Abhay K portrait by Alina Medvedeva.
1980 (age 32–33)
Nalanda, Bihar, India
|Alma mater||Jawaharlal Nehru University|
|Occupation||Diplomat, Poet, Artist|
|Known for||Penning Earth Anthem & first ever South Asian Anthem,Introduction and exceptional use of Social Media in the Public Diplomacy Division of the Ministry of External Affairs India, writings on global democracy and art works on planetary consciousness|
|Poet-Diplomat Abhay K.|
Abhay Kumar (Hindi: अभय कुमार) is an Indian poet, artist and diplomat. He has written several books including River Valley to Silicon Valley. His work in the field of digital diplomacy, philosophical poetry, art and global democracy inspires planetary consciousness. The Earth Anthem written,produced and directed by him in eight languages has won appreciations  and is under consideration of UNESCO to turn it into a global initiative. He has written the first ever South Asian Anthem and has been honoured with the SAARC Literary Award for his contribution to contemporary South Asian Poetry  and nominated for the Pushcart Prize 2013. In 2011, he has also received Gov2. award on behalf of the Public Diplomacy Division, Ministry of External Affairs 
Abhay was born and raised at Chhabilapur near the ancient town of Rajgir in Nalanda district of Bihar. He studied at the Kirori Mal College Delhi University and Jawaharlal Nehru University. Later he joined the Indian Foreign Service in 2003. Moreover he studied Russian language, history and literature at the Moscow State University and U.S. Foreign Policy at the George Washington University.
Abhay's first book was River Valley to Silicon Valley. His poems have appeared in Indian Literature (IL 269), Kritya  Kathmandu Post, Muse India, Pratilipi, La.Lit, St. Petersburg Literary Review, The Enchanting Verses Literary Review, Severnaya Aurora, Sphinx, Okno, The Applicant, Teesta Rangeet, Of Nepalese Clay and several other Indian and foreign literary journals. His poetic works give humanistic outlook to Indian English Poetry., deal with existential issues of the mankind, power play pervasive in our every day life, themes such as now and eternity, death and immortality  and make subtle use of metaphor and imagery.
He has read his poems at Sahitya Akademi-India's National Academy of Letters, Nepali Bhasa Parishad,Darjeeling, Sikkim Akademi,Gangtok, SAARC Literature Festival 2013 at Agra, Kritya International Poetry Festival 2013 at Mahatma Gandhi International Hindi University, Wardha, British Council, New Delhi  among other places. His poems have been recited by well known poets such as K. Satchidanandan, A. J. Thomas, Helena Sinervo, Müesser Yeniay, Annelisa Addolorato among others.
He co-founded the 'Poetry at the Monument' poetry movement  to bring poetry back to Delhi and to pay homage to 3,000 years of Delhi's heritage. He has been strongly advocating an Indian International Poetry Festival (IIPF) in Delhi which will not just promote poetry in India, but also bring peoples and cultures closer. His latest initiatives to boost India-Nepal cultural ties include 'Conversations','Poemandu' and 'Cinemandu' which provide innovative platforms for the writers, poets and filmmakers of Nepal to express themselves in creative ways. 
Earth Anthem written by him in eight different languages including Arabic, Chinese, French,English, Hindi, Nepali, Russian and Spanish, put to music by Sapan Ghimire from Darjeeling and sung by Shreya Sotang from Nepal has received acclaim  and is being used by CBSE
SAARC Anthem penned by him in Bangla, Dzongkha, Dhivehi, English, Hindi, Nepali, Pashto,Singla and Urdu attempts to foster South Asian consciousness and bring the member states of SAARC together.  
He has served in different positions at the Ministry of External Affairs of the Government of India and at the Indian Missions and Posts abroad. Among the key successes of his office at the end of his two year tenure (July 2010 - July 2012) as in-charge of Digital Diplomacy at the Public Diplomacy Division, MEA were bringing of about 70 Indian Embassies and Consulates on social media and the launch of the India Is Global Video Challenge inspired by the Democracy Video Challenge of the United States. His efforts helped India's national cultural institutions such as the Sahitya Akademi, the Lalit Kala Akademi and the National Gallery of Modern Art open their accounts on popular social media sites. Along with a few young IFS officers, he started IFS Day celebrations on the raising day of the Indian Foreign Service in 2011 to deepen the espirit de corps in the service.
He has delivered talks on poetry at the British Council,New Delhi, St. Xavier's College, Kathmandu and guest lectures on the creative use of social media and global democracy at the leading universities and institutes of India which include Jawaharlal Nehru University(JNU), Research and Information Systems (RIS) New Delhi, Amity University, NOIDA, Indian Society of International Law (ISIL) New Delhi, Indian Institute of Mass Communication(IIMC), New Delhi, Kirorimal College, Delhi University(DU), Management Development Institute(MDI), Gurgaon  among others.
His art works focus on planetary consciousness. He has exhibited his paintings in St. Petersburg (Russia), Paris (France) and New Delhi. His art works have been appreciated in art circles. 
Awards and recognition
Received 1st Class diploma from the Steiglitz Academy of Arts, St. Petersburg for his exhibition 'We are different, We are together'. 
- River Valley to Silicon Valley (2007)/ A Civil Servant's Tale(2011)
- 10 Questions of the Soul (2010)
- Colours of Soul (Cvet Dushi ) (2011) 
- Enigmatic Love (2009)
- Fallen Leaves of Autumn (2010)
- Candling the Light (2011) 
- Remains (2012) 
- Seduction of Delhi 
Poems in Poetry Anthologies
- Natural Spirit edited by Michelle Afford (2006), Forward Press, UK
- A Moment of Déjà vu edited by Annabel Cook (2007), Forward Press, UK
- Inclinations edited by Shirley Allard (2008), Word Catalyst, USA 
- Harmonious Palette edited by Olga Zabelina (2011),Russia
- The Dance of the Peacock: An Anthology of English Poetry from India (2013),Hidden Brook Press,Canada
Articles & Essays on Poetry
- Coming together for better or verse 
- Is Poetry Really Dead 
- In Service of Poetry
- In Poetry We Trust
- On Poets & Poetry 
Selected foreign translations
- The Hindu Literary Review 2007 The Hindu, 5 August 2007.
- Pen Drive, The Indian Express, 22 Nov 2012
- The Poetic Side of Indian Diplomats, The Times of India, 25 Aug 2012
- Public Diplomacy Division Receives Gov2.in 2011 Award Deccan Herald, 12 March.
- Better with verse The Hindu, 2 November 2011.
- Indian Diplomat's Paintings on Show, indusage.com.au, 29 April 2011
- Indian Diplomat turned artist presents his work on planetary consciousness ANI,27 April 2011
-  ANI,4 June 2012
- Indian Diplomat pens anthem for Earth The New Indian Express, 5 June 2013
- Inspiring Earth Anthem The Himalayan Times,9 June 2013
- UNESCO to consider making Earth Anthem by Indian diplomat a global initiative Business Standard, 26 June 2013
- UN to consider Indian diplomat's song as a global initiative The Economic Times 26 June 2013
- Indian poet-diplomat pens S.Asian anthem after Earth anthem success ANI, 27 Nov 2013
- Poet Abhay K wins SAARC Literature Award, Hindustan Times, 14 March 2013
- Five writers honoured at the SAARC Literature Festival, PTI, 11 March 2013
- IFS officer nominated for coveted Pushcart Prize,2 December 2012
- MEA's Public Diplomacy Division gets coveted Social Media Award, ANI, 11 March 2011
- Diplomat-writer, who pens verse, The Tribune, Chandigarh, 16 December 2012
- Poems of Abhay K in Indian Literature, June-July 2012
- Kritya Poetry Journal
- Poetic License
- Северная Аврора № 12, 2010. Абхай КУМАР
- Contemporary poets, storywriters to exhibit their oratory skills at Sahitya Akademi, Yahoo News, 2 May 2011
- NewKerela.com - Young Indian poets, storywriters mesmerize audience with their skills, newkerala.com, 4 May 2011
- ‘Diplomat poet’ creates rhymes from life Millennium Post, 1 July 2012
-  Review of “The Dance of the Peacock: An Anthology of English Poetry from India” by Rob Harley, The Enchanting Verses Literary Review Issue XIX, November 2013, pages 34-35
- Young Indian poets mesmerize audience with their skills ANI 4 May 2011
-  Himalaya Darpan 2 March 2013
- Sikkim Akademi hosts literary interaction programme Sikkim Now 3 March 2013
-  Deccan Herald 10 March 2013
- Kritya.in 6 October 2013
-  ANI 14 September 2013
- K. Satchidanandan reads poems of Abhay K, 15 Nov 2011
- A.J. Thomas on Abhay K's new book Candling the Light 15 Nov 2011
- Helena Sinervo reads Abhay K 19 September 2013
- Take it in a word The Hindu, 12 May 2012
- Poetry on stone: Timeless genre in revival across India Zee News, 12 June 2012
- For Better or Verse, Millennium Post, 26 July 2012
- Poemandu brings Nepali, Indian poets together, The Himalayan Times, 24 March 2013
- In conversation with Nepali writers, The Kathmandu Post, 5 March 2013
- Diplomat-poet spearheads three new initiatives to boost Indo-Nepal cultural ties, ANI,23 April 2013
- Indian diplomat in Nepal pens the Earth Anthem IANS, 27 June 2013
-  CBSE Website,6 October 2013
- Indian diplomat pens SAARC Anthem NDTV, 3 December 2013
-  The Hindu, 4 December 2013
- Foreign Service Poem Diplomat Magazine, London, 23 January 2013
- In the Service of the Nation, M.Y.O.D. 12 April 2012
- India Perspectives, ISSUU 16 August 2012
- A diplomatic web, The New Indian Express, 5 Aug 2011
- Poke your Babus Online The Times of India, 26 March 2011.
- Capture India’s soul in 3 minutes The Asian Age, 17 November 2013
- That's the way they like it, The Hindu, 26 July 2012
- IFS Officials building their own traditions The Times of India, 10 October 2013
- British Council organizes an evening of poetry, ANI, 14 September 2013
- "Abhay Kumar at Amity University". youtube.com/user/amityuni. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- K tells CII bosses about social media Twitter, 6 June 2012
- Indian diplomat poet talks of hope, Samachar.com, 4 Nov 2011
- South Asian Affairs, Issuu.com, April 2005
- Seven Wishes, Ideas & Universe, 7 April 2005
- Indian Diplomat turned Artist presents his works on Planetary Consciousness, ANI, 28 April 2011
- We have come far, Indrus.in, 15 April 2011
- Art exhibition "We have come far" by Abhay Kumar opened at RCSC, rusembassy.in, 15 April 2011
- "A second Life". Indian Express. 2011-05-04. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Poet Abhay K wins SAARC Literature Award, IANS, 14 March 2013
- "First Class Diploma to Abhay Kumar from the Steiglitz Academy of Art, St. Petersburg". Issuu.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "1st prize awarded to Abhay Kumar by Amity School of Business". Issuu.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "The Civil Servant's Tale". Issuu.com. 2011-09-16. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "10 Questions of the Soul". Issuu.com. 2010-10-04. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Цвет души". Issuu.com. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Enigmatic Love". Issuu.com. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Fallen Leaves of Autumn". Issuu.com. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Candling the Light". IBNLive. 2011-11-07. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Diplomat Abhay K. releases his new book Remains". Indian Express. 2012-07-01. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Dream WINDOW". The Hindu. 2012-07-01. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Inclinations". New Century Publishing, New Hampshire. 2008. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
-  Millennium Post, 26 July 2012
-  Kathmandu Post,February 2013
-  Kathmandu Post,March 2013
-  Kathmandu Post, October 2013
-  The Enchanting Verses Literary Review Issue XIX November 2013 ISSN 0974 -3057 pages 20-27
- "ideas & universe: Mishka". Abhayspeak.blogspot.com. 2007-05-25. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- snooty (2006-04-13). "ideas & universe: That evening storm: A short story". Abhayspeak.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "ideas & universe: A Day Opens Slowly". Abhayspeak.blogspot.com. 2007-06-20. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- От долины Паймара до Невы, spbvedomosti.ru, 20 May 2008
- Interview of poet Abhay K. to India's National TV Channel DD National
- UNESCO to consider making Earth Anthem a global initiative
- Indian Diplomat pens anthem for Earth
- Of poetry and passports
- Dream Window
- Better with verse
- Diplomat delights with poetry of promise
- Abhay Kumar releases Candling the Light
- Take it in a word
- Diplomat Abhay K. releases his new book Remains
- 'Diplomat-poet' creates rhymes from life
- A Second Life
- Interview with Poet Abhay K.
- Poet Abhay K Wins SAARC Literature Award
- Earth Anthem: A Film by Abhay K.
- Earth Anthem by Abhay K.
- MEA churning out diplomats-turned-authors with alacrity