|Born||Abigail Pierrepont Johnson
December 19, 1961 (age 52)
|Education||William Smith College
Harvard Business School
|Occupation||President, Fidelity Investments Personal, Workplace and Institutional Services
Chairman, Fidelity Worldwide Investment
|Net worth|| US$ 17.3 billion (est.)
(Forbes, March 2014)
|Spouse(s)||Christopher J. McKown (m. 1988)|
|Relatives||Edward C. Johnson II (grandfather), Edward C. Johnson III (father), Edward C. Johnson IV (brother), Elizabeth Johnson (sister)|
Abigail Pierrepont (Abby) Johnson (born December 19, 1961) is an American businesswoman. Johnson is Chairman of Fidelity Worldwide Investment, Vice Chairman of Fidelity Management and Research LLC (FMR), and President of Fidelity Investments Personal and Workplace Investing.
Fidelity was founded by her grandfather Edward C. Johnson II. Her father Edward C. (Ned) Johnson III is its current Chairman and CEO. As of March 2013, the Johnson family owned a 49% stake in the company. Her wealth of approximately $17 billion makes her one of the world's richest women. As of 2014, she was ranked as the 34th most powerful woman in the world according to Forbes.
Education and career
After brief stint as a consultant at Booz Allen Hamilton from 1985–86, Johnson completed an MBA at Harvard University and joined Fidelity Investments as an analyst in 1988. She was promoted to an executive role in Fidelity Management and Research in 1997 and has held various senior executive posts inside FMR, Fidelity Institutional Retirement Services and Fidelity Investments since then. In August 2012 she was promoted to President. On 13th Oct 2014,she has been promoted to the post of CEO of Fidelity. The promotion was announced in an internal memo written by her father, Edward “Ned” C. Johnson 3d.
Awards, honors, and society memberships
Johnson currently serves as a member of the Committee on Capital Markets Regulation. She is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA).
In 2014, she was ranked as the 34th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes. The previous year, she was ranked at #60.
- "The World's Billionaires (2010): #48 Abigail Johnson". Forbes. March 3, 2010. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- "Forbes 400 Richest Americans (2010): #22 Abigail Johnson". Forbes. September 16, 2010. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- Abigail Johnson Forbes
- "Abby Johnson Has Wedding". The New York Times. June 26, 1988. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- "Fidelity: Here Comes Abby". BusinessWeek. July 8, 2002. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- Lau, Debra (May 21, 2001). "Fidelity Promotes Abigail Johnson To President". Forbes. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- "The World's 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 24 June 2014.