Abitibi gold belt
The abitibi gold belt is a region of Canada that extends from Wawa, Ontario to Val-d'Or, Quebec. Located within the mineral-rich abitibi greenstone belt, the gold belt is an established gold mining district having produced over 100 mines, and 170 million ounces of gold since 1901. Timmins, a town founded in 1912 following the porcupine gold rush and subsequent creation of the Hollinger, MacIntyre and Big Dome Mines, is one area in the region that experienced a gold rush beginning in 1909. The Kerr Addison Mine in Virginiatown was at one time Canada's largest gold producing mine. Many of the towns readily acknowledge gold mining as part of their history, some being named after gold (Val d'Or means 'valley of gold', Kirkland Lake's nickname is 'the mile of gold'). One of Canada's 'large roadside attractions' is a 12 foot replica of a 1908 gold sovereign built to commemorate Canada's first five ounce gold coin which was made using gold from the kerr addison mine. 
Mining in the region experienced a resurgence between 2000 and 2010 when two companies, Osisko Mining and Detour Gold began investing heavily in two areas, Malartic and Detour Lake; Low production costs have helped bring more attention back to the area. Malartic (began commercial production in June 2011) will contribute about $3.25 billion to the region's economy over 20 years  and Detour Lake about $1.0 billion. The four mines that historically comprised the Malartic property are Canadian Malartic, Barnat, Sladen and East Malartic. Gold mines in the Kirkland Lake area are still active, having contributed to the formation of Kirkland Lake Gold Inc. The Detour Lake gold project near Cochrane, Ontario is North America's fourth biggest undeveloped gold deposit; when it opens in 2013 it will produce at an annual rate of approximately 649,000 ounces for 16 years. Another $1.5 billion is being invested in Matachewan, Ontario where Northgate's 2.5 million ounce Young-Davidson gold mine is located.
The abitibi greenstone belt in which the gold belt is situated has produced over 35 billion pounds of zinc, 15 billion pounds of copper, and 400 million ounces of silver, most of which was mined in and around Timmins, Ontario. The Greenstone Belt is part of a larger granite-greenstone-gneiss terrain called the Abitibi subprovince, part of the Archean Superior Province.
Mines in the region by historic production
|'000 oz||64,000||24,000||15,000||15,000||12,000||'000 oz||11,000||8,000||1,000||1,000||1,000|
Source Wealth Daily
Gold mining companies with interests in the area
- Armistice Resources - Recently purchased and actively drilling Kerr Addison property. Pre-production activity on adjacent property to west.
- Atlanta Gold Inc. - Canadian company whose main property is in Atlanta, Idaho. All other projects are in Quebec, including Abitibi mines Normar, Mouskor, and Malartic H acquired in 2008.
- Barrick Gold - Owns the Bousquet Mine in Northwest Quebec. Mined in East Malartic in 2002.
- Britannica Resource Corp. - TSX Venture Exchange listed exploration company that runs the McKenzie Break and Destor-Porcupine Blake River projects in Quebec.
- Century Mining - Lamaque mine in Val d'Or, Quebec.
- Clifton Star Resources - Owns the Duparquet gold project in Quebec (since June 2011 when Osisko walked away from its 50% share). The Duparquet mine produced 1 million ounces of gold between 1931 and 1957 when it was managed by Beattie Gold.
- Detour Gold - Detour Lake gold project.
- Harte Gold Corp. - nano cap company founded in 1982 that explores primarily on the Ontario side of the belt.
- Kinross Gold - Operated in the Kirkland Lake area but sold a lot of its interest later on to Kirkland Lake Gold Inc.
- Kirkland Lake Gold Inc. - Virginiatown, Kirkland Lake.
- Lake Shore Gold - Operates the Timmins, Thunder Creek, other TW properties, Bell Creek mill, Bell Creek complex, Blakelock, Casa Berardi, Tipahaakaanin gold projects in Quebec and Ontario. There are also projects in Mexico.
- Moneta Porcupine Mines Inc. TSX: ME - Gold explorer that operates east and west of Timmins, Ontario (where it is based). Exploration is centered around the township of Michaud, Ontario (Destor porcupine fault, Golden Highway which has 10 distinct mining zones) with others located near the Quebec-Ontario border. Controlled by management and institutional investors.
- Northern Star Mining - Exploration properties in the areas comprising Cadillac, Bousquet, Malartic. Core operation is at a property known as Midway.
- Northgate Minerals - owns 100% of the Young-Davidson gold project in Matchewan, Ontario 60 km from Kirkland Lake. The property used to be known as the Matachewan Consolidated mine.
- Osisko Mining - Malartic, Quebec (100% owned) and Atikokan, Ontario (Duparquet 50% interest was abandoned in 2011) .
- Queenston Mining Inc. - Currently holds the largest land package in the Kirkland Lake area.
- Titan Resources - Cooper Gold property near Val d'Or, Quebec. Based in Oklahoma.
- "NioGold Progresses Towards 1 Million Ounces Gold". 2009-11-13.
- "Britannica Resource Corporation". Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Record Earnings, Revenues, And Cash Flow In 2009 For Aurizon Mines". Archived from the original on 28 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Timmins History". 2008.
- "gold rush". 2010-04-06.
- "NioGold Armistice Resources to Acquire Former Kerr-Addison Mine Property". 2010-01-08.
- "Virginiatown". Archived from the original on 1 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- "Canadian coins". Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- "gold coin". Archived from the original on 1 August 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- "nsm corporate". Retrieved 2010-05-03.
- "Osisko begins building Canadian Malartic Mine". Canadian Mining Journal. September 2009.
- "Métis sign agreement for Detour Gold mine". 2010-12-04.
- "titan resources plans exploration of Abitibi Gold Belt, Val d'Or, Quebec". 2010-02-10.
- "Ground broken on $1.5B Young Davidson Mine". 2010-09-16.
- "Hughes Exploration". Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "Canada's Abitibi Greenstone Belt". Retrieved 2009-12-08.
- "Atlanta Gold Inc. and Niogold Mining Corp. option Abitibi Quebec gold properties from Breakwater Resource". 2008-09-30.
- "Surging gold price brings new life to old mines". CBC News. 2010-10-11.