|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
Screenshot of aboutus.org home page
|Headquarters||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Founder(s)||Ray King, Jay Westerdal|
|Alexa rank||3,258 (December 2013[update])|
|Type of site||Wiki Web directory|
|Launched||May 9, 2006|
Ray King, Jay Westerdal, & Paul Stahura founded AboutUs in 2005. Later in 2006 a small staff of five people in Portland, Oregon developed out the site, United States. The staff has since expanded to more than thirty people and two continents with an office in Lahore, Pakistan. From May 2007 to early 2011, Ward Cunningham, developer of the first wiki, was the chief technology officer of AboutUs.
AboutUs.org attracted at least 1.4 million U.S. visitors in July 2008.
There are more than ten million entries on AboutUs.org as of March 2008, and new pages are added at a rate of about 25,000 a day. Most entries were created by a web robot (bot); web searches by users direct the bot to create a page for a web domain. In many cases the content is simply a republication of the contents of the "About us", "About me", or similar page on the website. Such pages typically describe the entity that owns the site, and may include self-promotional information, which AboutUs.org does not restrict. In many other cases the content of an entry consists of the whois data for the website.
Some websites that analyze domains and traffic link to AboutUs.org as a point of additional reference. Notably, the "Whois" site DomainTools now references the Aboutus.org listing along with standard server information, domain ownership and history, and additional data. AboutUs has also referenced whois data content from the registrars Network Solutions and Register.com.
To prevent users from visiting malware domains, editors work with McAfee SiteAdvisor and PHSDL to identify such domains. Once a malware domain is identified, an AboutUs MalwareSite template is placed to warn users.
AboutUs.org is an open directory, and does not restrict website owners from writing in their own comments, or referencing commercial information that is not necessarily notable; webmasters are permitted to engage in self-promotion in terms of highlighting their website's features.
AboutUs.org fills the gap for webmasters by encouraging the posting of information about all websites regardless of notability or commercial interest.
Because of the open editing policy, and inclusion of commercial sites, it has grown rapidly in its content. It is also popular among webmasters or website owners seeking to include their "about us" information on AboutUs.org, as a central point of summary information on the web.
In January 2009, AboutUs secured a $5 million funding round from Voyager Capital.
- "Aboutus.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- AboutUs.org People Count according to Compete.com
- AboutUs pagecount tops 11 million AboutUs.org weblog
- Redden, Jim (2008-03-04). "Startup mines for riches in collaboration software". The Portland Tribune. Archived from the original on 14 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- Network Solutions and Register.com join AboutUs.org project
- McAfee Siteadvisor.com
- PHSDL - Project Honeypot Spam Domains List
- AboutUs Template:MalwareSite
- Aliza Earnshaw, "Startup hits the money with biz wiki", Portland Business Journal, November 10, 2006
- Aliza Earnshaw, "AboutUs nabs $5M infusion", Portland Business Journal, January 9, 2009
- Marshall Kilpatrick, "AboutUs: A Wiki About Every Website," TechCrunch, 11/14/2006.
- "AboutUs.org gets $1 million funding - excuse me?," CenterNetworks weblog entry, 11/14/2006.
- "AboutUs Launches a Business Plan; I'm Still Not Sold," CenterNetworks weblog entry, 01/10/2008
- Information Week article from 2007-01-27
- Google Maps Street View of Headquarters