About a Boy (TV series)
|About a Boy|
|Based on||About a Boy
by Nick Hornby
|Developed by||Jason Katims|
|Theme music composer||Brett Dennen|
|Composer(s)||Jon Ehrlich & Jason Derlatka|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||21 (List of episodes)|
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Original run||February 22, 2014– present|
About a Boy is an American single-camera television sitcom developed by Jason Katims that premiered midseason on February 22, 2014, following the 2014 Winter Olympics on NBC. It is the second adaptation based on the 1998 novel of the same title by Nick Hornby, preceded by the 2002 theatrical film. The series stars David Walton, Minnie Driver and Benjamin Stockham.
On May 9, 2014, NBC renewed About a Boy for a second season.
Successful songwriter and bachelor Will Freeman lives a carefree life as the "ultimate man-child". His perfect world is turned upside down when single mother Fiona and her 11-year-old son Marcus move in next door. Takes place in San Francisco, CA.
- David Walton as Will Freeman, a successful songwriter and bachelor. After he wrote a hit song he was granted a life of free time, free love and freedom from financial woes. He's single, unemployed and loving it. When Fiona and Marcus move in next door, he starts to bond with them.
- Minnie Driver as Fiona Bowa is a vegan hippie and an overbearing mother to her only child, Marcus, whom she is raising all by herself. She was once married and then got divorced. Fiona likes to meditate, take care of flowers, and doesn't like her new neighbor, Will.
- Benjamin Stockham as Marcus Bowa is an 11-year-old boy, who is also an only child. He is possibly too close to his mother, since she raised him all by herself since he was a kid. He is not very popular at school, so he is often teased by popular boys. When he and his mom move to a new house, he meets his new neighbor Will in which he finds himself a new best friend.
- Al Madrigal as Andy. He is Will's best friend. He has three children and his wife is Laurie. He thinks that raising a child is the greatest honor that person can have. He is more mature than Will, since he has children that he needs to take care of. He was once a DJ.
- Annie Mumolo as Laurie (season 2, recurring in season 1) She is Andy's wife, with whom she has three children. Laurie and Will tend to not get along even with Andy's persistence.
- Leslie Bibb as Dakota
- Adrianne Palicki as Dr. Samantha Lake
- Will Sasso as Lou
- Keith Powell as Richard
- Dusan Brown as Jackson
- Dax Shepard as Crosby Braverman (along with Crosby's infant daughter Aida Braverman)
- Zach Cregger as TJ
- Rachel Breitag as Shasta
- Amelia Cohn as Restaurant Patron
- Andrea Anders as Joanne
- Cricket Wampler as Hannah Bickleman
- Geoff Pierson as Robert Freeman, Will's Father
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||13||February 22, 2014||May 13, 2014|
|2||22||October 14, 2014||TBA|
On January 10, 2014, NBC announced that About A Boy would premiere following the 2014 Winter Olympics on February 21, 2014, at 10:30 pm EST (later revised by the network to Saturday, February 22, at 11:05 pm EST). It then moved to its regular timeslot on Tuesday, March 4, 2014, 9:00 pm EST following The Voice.
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||Episodes||Premiered||Ended||TV Season||Rank||Viewers
- "NBC Reveals Its 2013-14 Primetime Schedule". The Futon Critic. May 12, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- "About a Boy". NBCUniversal Media Village. Retrieved January 26, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (January 10, 2014). "NBC Sets Premiere Dates for 'About a Boy', 'Growing Up Fisher', 'Believe', 'Crisis' & More". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 9, 2013). "NBC New Series Pickups: Sean Hayes, DJ Nash, 'Crisis', 'About A Boy', 'Believe'". Deadline.com. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Rose, Lacey (May 9, 2013). "NBC Series Orders: 'Crisis,' 'Believe,' 'About a Boy,' Sean Hayes, D.J. Nash Comedies". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "'Hannibal', 'About a Boy' Renewed by NBC". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (February 23, 2014). "NBC's 'About a Boy' Preview Draws 8.26 Million Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 14, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Voice', 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' & 'The Goldbergs' Adjusted Up; 'The Originals', 'Supernatural', & 'About a Boy' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 14, 2014.
- Deadline Team, The (May 23, 2014). "Full 2014-14 Series Rankings". Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (October 15, 2014). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'The Flash', 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.LD.', 'The Voice' & 'The Mindy Project' Adjusted Up; 'About A Boy' & 'Chicago Fire' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 15, 2014.