Abraham Hall, December 2008
|Location||7612 Old Muirkirk Rd., Beltsville, Maryland|
|Area||3.9 acres (1.6 ha)|
|Architect||Jackson, John W.|
|Architectural style||No Style Listed|
|Governing body||Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission|
|MPS||African-American Historic Resources of Prince George's County, Maryland|
|NRHP Reference #||05000146|
|Added to NRHP||March 14, 2005|
Abraham Hall, constructed in 1889, is located on the northeast side of Old Muirkirk Road in the center of the historic African American community of Rossville, a section of Beltsville in Prince George's County, Maryland.
It was constructed by the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham, an African American society that was established for the social welfare of its members. Originally known as Rebecca Lodge #6 of the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham, the building was constructed by John W. Jackson in 1889 in the burgeoning community of Rossville. Abraham Hall, an excellent example of a multi-purpose building associated with African Americans, served as a meeting hall, a house of worship, a school, and a social hall for African Americans living in a segregated society. The lodge hall functioned as the community black school, until a Rosenwald School was built in 1922.
The structure is set back from the road on a 3.85-acre (1.56 ha) grassy lot with mature trees. It is a three-bay, two-story gable front frame lodge building with a brick foundation, wood lap siding with cornerboards, and a shake roof with a boxed cornice. A brick chimney rises from the northwest slope of the roof. Both the interior and exterior of the building were carefully restored between 1986 and 1991 using original materials or in-kind replacements.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "Abraham Hall". Maryland Historical Trust. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- Susan Pearl (September 1986). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Abraham Hall". Maryland Historical Trust. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- M-NCPPC African-American Heritage Survey, October 1996: Properties Within or Closely Associated With Historic Communities (Prince George's County, Maryland), 1996.
- Abraham Hall, Prince George's County, Inventory No.: PG:62-7, including photo in 2004, at Maryland Historical Trust website
- M-NCPPC Inventory of Historic Sites (Prince George's County); Abraham Hall, entry 62-023-07, p. 31
- African-American Heritage Survey, October 1996: Properties Within or Closely Associated with Historic Communities; Abraham Hall, entry 62-023-07, p. 19
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. MD-1043, "Abraham Hall, 7612 Old Muirkirk Road, Beltsville, Prince George's County, MD", 5 photos, 5 data pages, 1 photo caption page